Echo & Alexa Forums

Alexa Started Cutting Out Intermittently

kwiebe

Alexa Started Cutting Out Intermittently
« on: February 21, 2017, 04:53:13 pm »
Hi, I have an Echo and several Dots. They have been working fine until recently.  Sometimes when I ask Alexa something, her response cuts in and out.  Note this does not appear to be Bluetooth-related since the devices are using their own speakers.  Also, as an additional clue (maybe), it doesn't appear to be WiFi-related either, because I can stream music flawlessly without any cutouts.  It only happens sometimes, when Alexa is speaking.

Alpha Bitch

Re: Alexa Started Cutting Out Intermittently
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2017, 05:58:31 pm »
Unplug the device for 5+ minutes or so.  After plugging back up, the device should start working correctly.
If the above does not work, then reboot them.  Instructions for doing so is found on Amazon's Echo & Dot troubleshooting website.

mike27oct

Re: Alexa Started Cutting Out Intermittently
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2017, 06:15:10 pm »
Music streaming "fine" does not necessarily mean your wi-fi is OK, because streamed music is buffered and any "hiccups" are smoothed out when music plays.  So, while your Alexa devices are unplugged for five minutes also reboot your modem and router (or combo device).  Keep them off fo 30 seconds and restart them.  Then, when it is time to turn on the Alexa devices the router/modem is all back to normal and all should be better. 

Remember, your devices should be getting a decent wi-fi signal at all times, so don't have them too far at the extremes of your wi-fi signal.  If you think this could be the case and you have an android phone or tablet, install the free app called Wi-Fi Analyzer and check signal strength at each Alexa device.