Echo & Alexa Forums

Echo Dot Connecting To Amazon Prime Account

Guitars415

Echo Dot Connecting To Amazon Prime Account
« on: February 18, 2017, 09:18:33 am »
So I just bought an echo dot (it's awesome) but it seems like it doesn't recognize that I have an amazon prime account (or maybe it did?).  I tried to play some songs but it said I need to get amazon music ($3.99/month) but I already have a prime membership.... So, why do I need to get amazon music?  I thought amazon music was including with my prime membership?  Can someone shed some light on this.  I called customer support and they didn't help me very much and I'm still left in the dark.

mindmagic

Re: Echo Dot Connecting To Amazon Prime Account
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2017, 10:14:20 am »
Perhaps the songs you're trying to play aren't available on Prime? Try going into Prime Music on your phone or PC and add what you can to your Library, then try again. Or try one of the "public" playlists - New Age for Sleep, for example.

malliekm

« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2017, 11:47:41 pm »
Unless it was for a limited time only, you should have gotten one month free of Music UNLIMITED.  If  you decide to keep it, it's $3.99/month.  If you don't, your Prime Music kicks in and that's part of having a Prime membership...UNLESS, like me, you're a Prime member on someone else's acct.  My daughter and I share a Prime membership.  My orders come to me and I  pay for them with my cc.  But only the main account holder (the person who opened the acct) can listen to Prime music for free :(

k9kids

« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2017, 07:50:19 am »
So I just bought an echo dot (it's awesome) but it seems like it doesn't recognize that I have an amazon prime account (or maybe it did?).  I tried to play some songs but it said I need to get amazon music ($3.99/month) but I already have a prime membership.... So, why do I need to get amazon music?  I thought amazon music was including with my prime membership?  Can someone shed some light on this.  I called customer support and they didn't help me very much and I'm still left in the dark.

Some songs/artists are only available on Amazon music unlimited which will cost you an extra $3.99 per month. If you have multiple Echo devices, it will only be for a specific device. It will cost more to have music unlimited on all your Echo devices.

You gain access to millions of songs not available to normal prime music subscribers.

I opted to have it only on one device that I use the most.

mike27oct

« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2017, 01:14:39 pm »
@k9kids

Have you ever switched the device you chose to have Music Unlimited on to a different device you have?  Say, from an Echo to a Tap?  I believe this is possible.

Guitars415

« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2017, 09:21:49 am »

Some songs/artists are only available on Amazon music unlimited which will cost you an extra $3.99 per month. If you have multiple Echo devices, it will only be for a specific device. It will cost more to have music unlimited on all your Echo devices.

You gain access to millions of songs not available to normal prime music subscribers.

I opted to have it only on one device that I use the most.

That's exactly what I found out.  I was under the impression having a Prime membership included Amazon Music.  I did not know Amazon Music was an addition to Prime Music. 

Thanks

k9kids

« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2017, 11:39:48 am »
Amazon Prime does include Amazon Music.

The $3.99 per month charge is for Amazon Music Unlimited. This takes  you from roughly 2 million songs to roughly 10 million songs and thousands of playlist and personalized stations.

mindmagic

« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2017, 03:38:16 am »
"Unlimited" is a bit of a misnomer. There will still be a lot of music that is not available.

« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2017, 08:06:08 am »
I installed an echo Dot for My Aunt (For those who have followed my entries by my user name), With Zero help she can now control her Own Entertainment equipment now! It's Awesome... She was absolutely astonished and almost tearful with joy that she can now adjust her own volume, Change Channels, Turn the system on and off through Alexa. For a Quadriplegic, This is Almost like getting a new set of hands... that work. All this prefaces the next part...

On the Echo I have (full size tall boy), I get Music Stations, Songs by artist, songs by Genre... Singles if asked for a particular song... All of that... But on the Dot I installed for my Aunt, All I get is the same response the OP Mentioned, offering the Unlimited service for a fee... I will admit I already had Amazon Prime for a few days (couple of weeks maybe) before I got My Echo... I set hers up and opened an Amazon Account and added Amazon Prime (just like mine) all in a day. Is there maybe a delay in access once you set up Prime? or does the music stuff just not work the same on Dot?
2 Echo Dots 2nd gen
2 echo dots gen 3 (no clock) -2 Echo Dot 3rd gen with Clock
1 echo dot Gen 4 with clock
1 Echo Spot
4 10" Fire Tablets
1 15' Echo show
23 Hue Lights 1 Hue bridge - 1 Amazon Smart plug outlet
One Ring Doorbell Pro
4 cell phones with Alexa app installed!
You should see My Apple Device List!

Guitars415

« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2017, 11:53:47 am »
I installed an echo Dot for My Aunt (For those who have followed my entries by my user name), With Zero help she can now control her Own Entertainment equipment now! It's Awesome... She was absolutely astonished and almost tearful with joy that she can now adjust her own volume, Change Channels, Turn the system on and off through Alexa. For a Quadriplegic, This is Almost like getting a new set of hands... that work. All this prefaces the next part...

On the Echo I have (full size tall boy), I get Music Stations, Songs by artist, songs by Genre... Singles if asked for a particular song... All of that... But on the Dot I installed for my Aunt, All I get is the same response the OP Mentioned, offering the Unlimited service for a fee... I will admit I already had Amazon Prime for a few days (couple of weeks maybe) before I got My Echo... I set hers up and opened an Amazon Account and added Amazon Prime (just like mine) all in a day. Is there maybe a delay in access once you set up Prime? or does the music stuff just not work the same on Dot?

Please start your own thread regarding the issues you are having.  Thank you.

mike27oct

« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2017, 12:32:53 pm »
>>>   Please start your own thread regarding the issues you are having.  Thank you.

Why? The guy is "on topic" and threads are not unique to one person.