Echo & Alexa Forums

ROUTERS IN THE UK THAT WORK BEST WITH THE ECHO

judymeg

ROUTERS IN THE UK THAT WORK BEST WITH THE ECHO
« on: February 16, 2017, 10:15:11 am »
I had a bit of trouble connecting my Echo to my Wi-Fi.  It would only connect if the security was set to OPEN, with no password.

I was just wondering if there are routers that work better with the Echo than others.

jdeacon

Re: ROUTERS IN THE UK THAT WORK BEST WITH THE ECHO
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2017, 03:55:59 am »
I suspect that even with the same router, people's experience will vary. But for what it's worth, I have a TP-LINK Archer C9 AC1900 and it's fine.

mindmagic

« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2017, 03:58:09 am »
I couldn't connect on 2.4GHz, but had no problem on the 5GHz band.

judymeg

« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2017, 08:40:34 am »
My Echo will only connect to the 5G band too and only if the security is set to Open, with no password.  I have received an email from Customer Services at Amazon with details of the adjustments needed to be made to the router to enable my Echo to work on the 2.4 band and with a secure network. 

I can either phone the router tech services to see if these adjustments can be made or get a new router!

Thanks for replying folk!

MasterOfArts

« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2017, 06:15:14 pm »

Hello,

I can report that the netgear R7800 is also fine on both 2.4 & 5G.

Kind Regards,

MOA.

RobertinHerts

« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2017, 03:17:03 pm »
The Echo dot and tablet computer sometimes have problems with the Wi-Fi, and I had to buy a Wi-Fi extender. I'm hoping the Virgin Media Super hub 3 I'm expecting this week will be an improvement over the Super hub 2.

The increase from 70 to 100Mbs should help the TV too.

jdeacon

« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2017, 03:40:39 am »
The Echo dot and tablet computer sometimes have problems with the Wi-Fi, and I had to buy a Wi-Fi extender. I'm hoping the Virgin Media Super hub 3 I'm expecting this week will be an improvement over the Super hub 2.

The increase from 70 to 100Mbs should help the TV too.
Possibly good news and bad. The 100 mbps is very nice. I had to update my wired network's very old switch, though, to actually get that speed to the PC.

However, the aerial in the Superhub 3 is still bad; in fact close to non-existent. You may still need your wifi extender. I had to switch my SH3 to modem-only mode and get a proper router (I got the TP-LINK Archer C9 AC1900).

RobertinHerts

« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2017, 02:05:07 pm »
So far the Virgin Media Super hub 3 has performed very well with the WiFi. The signal now covers the garden, making the repeater unnecessary. The Echo dot and tablet now seem to be performing more reliably :)

RobertinHerts

Re: ROUTERS IN THE UK - Virgin Media Super hub 3
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2017, 07:15:05 am »
I've been having problems with Virgin Media Super hub 3 since receiving it. Changing the the initial settings appears to have helped.

Unlike the previous VM router both the 2G and 5G signals have the same name on the Super hub 3! This appears to have caused the problems with the TV, which kept buffering. The VM technician has now remotely renamed the two signals with suffixes -2g and  -5G which seems to have resolved the TV problem.

I'm hoping Alexa will now be happier too::)
« Last Edit: May 29, 2017, 07:16:59 am by RobertinHerts »