Echo & Alexa Forums

New wake word

strayfish

New wake word
« on: January 16, 2017, 02:03:10 pm »
aaaaand the winner is - Computer! Came with the latest update. Frankly I was hopeful of Mrs Shufflebottom but that's probably next, eh?

mike27oct

Re: New wake word
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2017, 04:01:30 pm »
I saw it.  Amazing, it only took Amazon over two years to come up with another wake word, and they choose a common word people use often so it can create "false alarms" to wake up a device; e.g. "I'm going to turn on the computer". or "This %#@$ computer is frozen again with the BSOD." or, well, you fill the next ones in.

More importantly, when looking in the app for the new wake word, I noticed some things amiss within the over half dozen devices controlled by my Alexa app; e.g. all the time zone settings were trashed for each device, so instead, the location of time zone displayed "America" and not "US" and time zone was not set, so I had to reset both of these for every device.

Also noticed some confusion with the Fire TV stick settings, since I installed a third one last week.  Renamed them to be very clear, such as Family Room Fire TV and Bedroom Fire TV (while being careful to match the serial numbers with the right device.)  Thanks, Amazon.

« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2017, 05:14:50 pm »
I guess I do not have the latest update since I do not see computer on any of my echo devices.  or is this fake news  :-)

mike27oct

« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2017, 05:52:46 pm »
yes, it is there, I saw it..\
Seems like the term "fake news" is "trending" these days and is the current buzz word.

strayfish

« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2017, 06:23:31 pm »
the location of time zone displayed "America" and not "US" and time zone was not set, so I had to reset both of these for every device.

I just get Europe then a choice that includes GMT, Eastern, Western & Central Europe, and Moscow!

And 'Computer'? Well quite. I suspect it's a nod to the nerd in us if this is any guide: "A new software update is being rolled out and it includes the option to use “Computer” as your Echo or Dot wake word, just like a Star Trek computer! You can change the wake word in the Alexa app under Settings; if the Computer wake word option is there, you’ve received the update. In honor of this announcement, here are some Stupid Alexa Tricks for the Star Trek fans." http://lovemyecho.com/2017/01/15/11617-stupid-alexa-tricks/

Offline jwlv

« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2017, 07:53:43 pm »
I have 3 Echoes and 5 Dots. None of them have "computer" as the wake word. Apparently they have not received the update.

mike27oct

« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2017, 09:24:57 pm »
Only one of my 4 Dots shows computer as a wake word choice.  Software version is 4812.  All other Dots show a longer software version.  Echo does not show computer as a choice either.

Has this new wake word been publicly announced yet?

strayfish

« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2017, 04:22:06 am »

StevenR

« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2017, 02:14:53 pm »
My Echo Dot just got the update today so I decided to try changing the wake word to Computer to try it out but it doesn't appear to work at all. It told me it had changed the wake word but I've tried saying "computer" in a variety of ways and nothing caused it to respond (even the original wake work I had set, Alexa, didn't work so it isn't that the change didn't apply properly). I had to change it back to Alexa in the end to get it to work. Could this be due to being in the UK? Mine is showing a software version of 564197320 (I believe it was previously 564196920) and not 4812 which has been reported here.

strayfish

« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2017, 02:29:19 pm »
Could this be due to being in the UK? Mine is showing a software version of 564197320 (I believe it was previously 564196920) and not 4812 which has been reported here.

I'm in the UK and I was successful with my Echo which is on 4812. I haven't tried it with the Dots which are on different versions of their own software - the longer numbers you see on yours - one 564197320, the other 564196920, but I see `Computer' is available on the 7320 version and not the other.

mike27oct

« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2017, 06:24:16 pm »
It is possible, maybe likely that UK FW updates are different than US.  The 4812 I reported was from my US Dot.

strayfish

« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2017, 06:31:01 pm »
It is possible, maybe likely that UK FW updates are different than US.  The 4812 I reported was from my US Dot.

That's interesting, I'd begun to think the 4 digit ID was a characteristic of Echos and the longer ones the Dots but maybe not. Or not where you are anyway.

mike27oct

« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2017, 08:53:28 pm »
22 miles or so from Amazon headquarters near Seattle, WA!  Purely coincidental; we all get the same treatment.   FW releases are staggered and released at different times (likely by some algorithm related to device serial number or MAC address, but who knows.) 
A second Dot today shows new FW, and this time number is different; 4540, and Computer is not a wake word.  Both Dots are gen1; other two (not yet updated) are gen 2.  Oops, one not apparently updated (still has a 9-digit software number) now shows Computer as a wake word. Go figure.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2017, 12:32:20 am by mike27oct »

stusviews

« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2017, 09:54:38 pm »
Just checked, "Computer" is added as a wake word.

strayfish

« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2017, 04:21:40 am »
Oops, one not apparently updated (still has a 9-digit software number) now shows Computer as a wake word. Go figure.

My Dots are both Gen2 and they have 9 digit software numbers - for now anyway. Curioser and curioser!