Echo & Alexa Forums

sockets and switches

anthonyexmouth

sockets and switches
« on: January 14, 2017, 10:17:26 am »
hi, does anyone know if there are any socket faceplates or light switches that work in the same way as wemo without the need for a dedicated hub.

Re: sockets and switches
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2017, 11:30:44 am »
What do you mean work the same way?
Controllable by a smartphone via Wi-Fi?
Controllable via Alexa?
There are many HA devices that don't require a hub and can be controlled via Wi-Fi.
iTead makes several and they plan to release a skill next month

A hub is just a min PC usually running Linux dedicated to those devices.
If you have a PC that you can leave running at least when you Plan to use Alexa then you can create your own hub.
BWS Systems HA-Bridge is just one of many software hub solutions available.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2017, 11:36:47 am by tuicemen »

anthonyexmouth

« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2017, 11:43:55 am »
what im looking for is something similar to the way the lifx bulbs/tp-link plugs work directly with alexa without a hub but in the form of a replacement faceplate socket or light switch. the light switch is my main want because i dont have many single pendant lights in the house and if someone made a replacement 13A socket to do away with a bulky plug in the way they integrate usb into a faceplay now that would be awesome. 

« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2017, 12:13:19 pm »
So the requirements are Wi-Fi and has a Skill already created?
My HA setup is about 99% x10 which I control with Alexa however I do that with PC software.
The other 10 % is wemo, zwave, easybulb and itead sonoff which I don't use much.
Have you dug into the Smarthome Skills in Alexa to see what is there?

anthonyexmouth

« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2017, 12:23:12 pm »
i did see the wemo switches but no 240V offering for the uk. closest i can see to my needs is the lightwaverf that does require a hub but is directly controlled via alexa. i guess its just a waiting game for belkin/tp-link to release a 240v socket faceplate/light switch to go with their hubless line of smart devices

« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2017, 01:22:19 pm »
iTead has a Wi-Fi light switch for 240 you can control from your smartphone.
https://www.itead.cc/smart-home/sonoff-touch.html
There is no Skill for it at the moment but that may come before  Belkin or tp-link has the hardware your looking for.
I've read it is in the works and should be ready by next month. ;)

mike27oct

« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2017, 03:15:28 am »
TP-link makes a mini smart plug socket (HS 105) that truly takes up one socket of a wall pair.  It's small, and I just got myself a few.

Personally, I would not want something that needs to be installed and take the place of the current socket.  If something goes wrong, remove and replace becomes a hassle.

jdeacon

« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2017, 04:35:07 am »
I too would like a smart socket rather than a smart plug. The first thing I want to try (with my Echo) in the area of home automation is controlling the hot water immersion heater. The switch is right at the top of the house. I could put a plug on the cable to the element, but I'd rather not.

I haven't seen anything yet. (And I'm probably further limited by UK/240V requirement.)

anthonyexmouth

« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2017, 04:44:49 am »
its looking more and more like lightwaverf is the only option for replacement scockets and switches.  has anyone had any good/bad experiences?

Offline tthoben

• Greetings from sunny Singapore!
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2017, 05:11:56 am »
Yes there are smart switches. If you are familiar with aliexpress.com you can look for broadlink TC2 smart switches. It works with their proprietary app without a hub, but with their hub (called RM pro) u can integrate the switches with Alexa
Echo Dot @ SG