Get CPR certified in 30 minutes at CPR Test Center.
Echo & Alexa Forums

Is it possible to connect my echo via WIDI

mountaingranny

Is it possible to connect my echo via WIDI
« on: January 13, 2017, 10:54:14 am »
I have searched everywhere online and Amazon, as well as this forum, and still cannot find an answer.
Is it possible to connect my echo via WIDI? Such as connecting to my husband's cell phone which has unlimited data but cannot be hotspotted? Of just use my cell phone which has unlimited data but cannot be hotspotted either
The only internet we have is the unlimited data on our cell phones which can use Hot Spot due to the unlimited agreement.
I have had my Echo since January 2015 and have not been able to use it.

Thank you

Re: Is it possible to connect my echo via WIDI
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2017, 11:17:14 am »
My understanding is WIDI is for streaming video . The echo does stream but not video.
you need to be able to tell it what IP to use so you'll need a hotspot.
See if you can change your data plan on one of the phones if your not locked in.
Most carriers will allow a Plan change especially if it is a upgrade and gets them more money.

mountaingranny

« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2017, 12:00:09 pm »
The other plans are actually more expensive with less data which is why we switched carriers and plans.

Thanks tuiceman!

mike27oct

« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2017, 03:59:56 pm »
Yes, WiDi is for video, and anyway, who uses WiDi today?

from Wilipedia:
Intel® WiDi and Intel® Pro WiDi Applications, was a Wireless Display (WiDi) technology developed by Intel, it enabled users to stream music, movies, photos, videos and apps wirelessly from a compatible computer to a compatible HDTV or through the use of an adapter with other HDTVs or monitors. Intel WiDi supported HD 1080p video quality, 5.1 surround sound, and low latency for interacting with applications sent to the TV from a PC.

Using the Intel WiDi Widget users were able to perform different functions simultaneously on their PC and TV such as checking email on the PC while streaming a movie to the TV from the same device.[4]

WiDi has been superseded by Miracast,[5] a standard developed by the WiFi Alliance[6]

My bottom of line iPhone allows for setting up the phone as a hotspot, although I have never needed/wanted to do so.  You can likely keep your cell plan and just get a phone that can do the job.

If you want to connect Echo, you need home internet, and since the bandwidth requirements of Echo are minimal, you don't need but the most basic plan; around $10 a month I imagine.

mountaingranny

« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2017, 04:19:45 pm »
Yes, WiDi is for video, and anyway, who uses WiDi today?

We use Wi-fi direct to cast to our TV via smartphone with unlimited data with Cricket Wireless and a Screenbeam Mini 2, which is way better than Roku and other like devices. We only watch TV via Amazon Prime Video.

We live way in the country and do not have access to cable TV or internet. The only home internet we can get it slow dial-up with phone company and do not have a landline. Or satellite like Hughes Net which is expensive.
We did all this to cut down on expenses which has save us over $300 a month just on Cell phone charges, add satellite TV and internet to that, and you can see how much it would all add up for us.
I didn't see anywhere in the description when I preordered the Echo that you need home internet. We were able to make sure it worked with my husband's work cell which only has 10 GB a month data because there are a few work related things he needs hot spot capability for, so it does work great.

Maybe Amazon can do some kind of software update so people like us, which there are MANY out there, can use it.

Thank you for your help. :)

mountaingranny

« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2017, 04:23:58 pm »

If you want to connect Echo, you need home internet, and since the bandwidth requirements of Echo are minimal, you don't need but the most basic plan; around $10 a month I imagine.

Oh, and our phone company's dial up internet is $25 and requires you having at least a basic phone plan with it.

mountaingranny

« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2017, 04:36:33 pm »
In case anyone else has the same question, I did call Amazon and she said that the Tap works off of cell phone 4G, meaning no home internet needed, and they will be coming out with a newer Echo which will do the same thing. The original Echo does not have that capability though.
Guess I will sell this one and wait for the newer one to come out.

Thanks everyone and have a blessed day! :)

mike27oct

« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2017, 05:13:26 pm »
The published specs for Alexa devices all say the same thing, they need to connect to wi-fi; but not necessarily a home based wi-fi emanating from a home router;  any ACCESSABLE wi-fi one can connect to will do, wi-fi anywhere; even those from a phone based hotspot.  If the Alexa device can connect to it, it works.  It's not just the Taps that can do this.  I have Echos, Dots and Taps, and they all work the same way when connected to any wi-fi. 

There are people riding around in cars right now who power their Dots with a portable power adapter in lighter socket and also have their Dots connected to the hotspot of their phones!  Same can be done with Echos and Taps.  (So, once again, the bottom tier Echo support people don't always give a correct answer.)

Just like you connected your Echo to your hubby's work cell, you can do it with any cell phone with the capability to do so.

mountaingranny

« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2017, 12:20:12 am »

(So, once again, the bottom tier Echo support people don't always give a correct answer.)

Wow, are you always this condescending to people? Maybe you didn't completely read my last comment? Try reading the whole thing again. The support person was correct in what she told me.

Have a blessed day.

mike27oct

« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2017, 05:26:08 am »
I have dealt with many customer supports, and some of the people need "better training".  That is not condescending, its a fact.  The Tap is NOT the only Echo device that can connect to hotspots, and that is what I disputed.  I was helping you, since you have a Dot and not a Tap.  Sorry.

mountaingranny

« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2017, 01:36:26 pm »
The Tap is NOT the only Echo device that can connect to hotspots, and that is what I disputed.

If you will read my comments again, you will see that I did not say it would not connect via hotspot, which my current original Amazon Echo WILL do. What I said, that the very helpful support person told me, is that the Tap and soon to be released newer Echo, do and will work without hotspot or wifi from home internet. The Tap has newer hardware which allows it to use your cell phone's 4G network directly and the newer Echo will as well.
They heard from enough of us who only have cell phone data for internet to create the newer Tap and Echo.
I was offered to preorder the Echo late 2014 for a much lower price than it is even now available for as a Prime member and at that time there was not a lot of information offered on it like there is now.

Thank you

mike27oct

« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2017, 02:58:03 am »
Granny >>>
What I said, that the very helpful support person told me, is that the Tap and soon to be released newer Echo, do and will work without hotspot or wifi from home internet. The Tap has newer hardware which allows it to use your cell phone's 4G network directly and the newer Echo will as well.

1.  Today, I created a hotspot on my iPhone and connected it to the Tap, and it works, although not my favorite way to connect.  BUT, there was no way to connect my Tap directly to my AT&T 4G LTE network from the Tap as was claimed.  Not gonna  happen soon, if at all.

2.  What the support person told you would be considered by business people as proprietary and confidential company info and NOT even to be known by customer support people or discussed with anyone until the plan was publicly announced and put into action.  This story is a rumor I would not want to perpetuate.  I'm not holding my breath till this happens, either.  Connecting Alexa devices to 4G will continue to be through hotspots for a long time to come.