Echo & Alexa Forums

Alexa has stopped letting me dim the light

Dazzerbone2003

Alexa has stopped letting me dim the light
« on: January 12, 2017, 05:11:16 pm »
Hi everyone. Alexa today no longer let's me dim the lights. I am able turn them on and off but won't recognise my dim command I have always used ("alexa, dim the lights to 30%) I use samsung smartthings and have called my device name "the lights" always worked up till now, even recognising what I am saying correctly when I see what questions I have asked in the app.

She just replies with, "Please try again with the device name and setting". I have reset the dot, removed the SmartThings device and reinstalled it. Still no joy. Any ideas?

Re: Alexa has stopped letting me dim the light
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2017, 05:43:49 pm »
Have you done any voice training?
My Alexa ignores the word the
I find Alexa will respond in my case to  room light, room lights, room lamp, room lamps the same with or with out using "the" but I have yet to do any training.
The word "the" might be what is causing the issue try changing that to  or  add "room name"  ;)

Syrcam

« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2017, 07:23:47 pm »
Hi Dazzerbone, thank you for your post, I don't feel lonely anymore!

I have exactly the same problem than you since a few days. I was controlling two LightWaveRF dimmer switches through an echo group and dimming is no longer working. I have tried to remove groups, devices, skill...I have not managed to make it work again. I am still able to turn the lights on/off but when I use the command "dim" or "set" I am either asked to specify the name of the device (I have a very clean list there can't be a missunderstanding) or I am told that this action is not working on device "all lights".

To reply to tuicemen, I have checked the history requests to Alexa and she definitively understand each word I say.

Are we only two to face this issue? Any idea would be welcome to fix this!

mindmagic

« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2017, 04:24:49 am »
Users on another forum reported that Alexa no longer understands "per cent". You now have to say "(Turjn on) Lounge 50", for example, to get 50% brightness. This works for me.

AndyWilson

« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2017, 09:37:56 am »
Getting the same issue - leaving out "percent" does indeed seem to fix it, but "dim the bedroom light to 50 percent" still works occasionally too.

mindmagic

« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2017, 10:39:35 am »
I've had problems with one particular light today (Hue White). Even a new IFTTT applet wouldn't give me the right brightness. I had to use the Hue app on my phone. Other lights (White Ambience) seem to be OK - so far.