Echo & Alexa Forums

Echo Dot + Mac + Speakers

mfid

Echo Dot + Mac + Speakers
« on: January 12, 2017, 05:59:14 am »
Hi all,

I'd like to connect an Echo Dot to my home office setup which will include:

• Macbook Pro Retina
  • Active speakers (don't know which model yet, probably either Audioengine A5+ or Yamaha HS7)

I want to be able to play audio from my Macbook through the speakers, but also be able to hear the Echo Dot through the speakers as well, without having to switch inputs. Up to now I've been looking for speakers that can somehow mix multiple inputs (e.g. if Mac is connected to speaker via optical or USB, and Echo Dot connected to the speaker via 3.5mm jack).

I don't know if that's possible yet, but would an alternative be to pair the Echo Dot to my Mac via bluetooth, so the Mac effectively serves as a mixer and then just have a single input running from the Mac to the speakers? What would sound quality be like in this situation?

Would the bluetooth stream from Echo Dot to Mac limit the quality I can expect for things like Spotify streaming or podcasts through the Echo?

Thanks in advance!

mfid

Re: Echo Dot + Mac + Speakers
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2017, 04:41:35 am »
Nobody?

Alpha Bitch

« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2017, 02:12:25 pm »
Nobody?
Would the bluetooth stream from Echo Dot to Mac limit the quality I can expect for things like Spotify streaming or podcasts through the Echo?

Nope!  In my bedroom, my DOT is connected to my speakers through my iMac's bluetooth.  My sound quality is supported by an app called BOOM.  You can get it from the AppStore.

mfid

« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2017, 10:55:31 am »
Thanks!