Echo & Alexa Forums

Existing Ceiling Fan connection to Echo Dot possible?

Rykarn

Existing Ceiling Fan connection to Echo Dot possible?
« on: February 12, 2017, 05:22:32 pm »
Hi,
I have an Hunter 3 speed ceiling fan with a non-dimmable light bulb. (its about 10 years old) I am not planning in replacing it as it looks great in my room and works just fine. At present, I control the fan with only a hand remote. This fan did not include at the time a wall panel unit. The remote is this unit...   http://www.ebay.com/itm/Hunter-Fan-Remote-Control-Transmitter-8509501000-85095-01-/181561767623?hash=item2a45ecb6c7    As you can see in the picture, this remote transmits the signal to the receiver to control the fan/light.

Hunter does make this, but according to comments I read on Amazon, its not compatible with the Echo Dot due to it being a Bluetooth unit, and not WIFI. Here is their product...   http://www.hunterfan.com/SimpleConnectControl

I would love to control the fan with my Echo Dot, but also would like to have a wall panel control as well. Essentially, I would like to walk into my room and tell Alexia to turn on my ceiling fan light and then with a separate command to turn on the fan to the desired level. I would like a wall panel control to be able to turn off the light at night and not disturb my sleeping girlfriend by having to tell Alexia to turn off the light.  Anyway, is there a way to do this?  Thank you so much for any response.

(I hope it was ok to post those links and not against this sites TOS)
« Last Edit: February 12, 2017, 05:36:24 pm by Rykarn »

coyote

Re: Existing Ceiling Fan connection to Echo Dot possible?
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2017, 04:39:25 pm »
When you really think about it, the fact that few if any net-based fan remote controls exist is not a surprise. It would be kinda silly to require a network hub to simply change speeds on your fan.

But of course the future beckons. And in the present, the future is knocking and looking for a network-controllable fan speed control

« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2017, 06:26:05 pm »
at this time, there is no way for your current ceiling fan to be modified to do what you want.  there are celling fans that can be controlled by the echo but unless you have the bucks, they are very expensive.  Just saw one with no lights for 600 bucks.  for sure it is not for me.  hate to see what one with lights will cost. 

Rykarn

« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2017, 01:41:32 pm »
Ok, here is a thought. I am not well versed in how echo dot communicates with appliances, so if someone knowledgeable can comment, and tell my why its not possible, I would appreciate it.

Ok, so there is this that Hunter has available. I can install it and have my phone control my fans 3 speeds and light.

http://www.hunterfan.com/Accessories/Controls/Hunter-simpleConnect-Programmable-Control

Would it be possible to have Echo Dot connect to this units receiver and take control thru verbal commands you program Alexia to understand? I understand that there is currently no "skills" out there for this, but can't one be made? If so, I would be more than interested in learning how to do this if it is possible. I just need to know if it is, then I would start researching on how to make it happen.

So, is it even possible, if not, please explain why. 

Thanks!
« Last Edit: February 16, 2017, 02:13:45 pm by Rykarn »

Offline kevb

« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2017, 03:55:24 pm »
The Echo does not directly communicate with any smart devices, it does so over the internet via wifi. You say something, the Echo sends a message to an Amazon server, then the Amazon server sends a message to the device's web server, which then sends a command to the device. It looks like the "simpleconnect" does not have a wifi connection, so I don't think the Echo can reach it. The echo does have bluetooth, but I believe this is for audio only.

Fans are notorious in home automation, as many are hardwired and controlled via an RF remote with proprietary codes instead of the "normal" IR remotes. Most cannot be controlled with a universal remote. Some simpler fans controlled by wall switches can be automated by replacing the wall switches with smart switches, which usually also require a smart hub. Converting your present fan would require a lot of time and money for a lot of additional equipment and possibly rewiring the whole thing.

Rykarn

« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2017, 07:39:01 pm »
Ok, thanks for the reply. I appreciate it, though disheartening news.