Echo & Alexa Forums

(Used, but in Good Condition) Echo Dot Gen 2 Will Never go Into Wifi/set up mode

CarsonJB

I can't really find much about this problem using google, and the Echo Dot support line is clearly staffed by people who are meant to forward you to people who can process returning the Echo (and not technicians at all). So I thought Echo User Forums could help.

My problem is that it will never display an orange ring or let me set up wifi. It remains a solid blue ring when plugged in but is not interact-able. Holding Action for 5 seconds or holding Microphone Off/Volume down for 20 seconds do nothing to change the color or put it in wifi set up mode. Anyone know the problem or is it just 100% defective and needs to be returned?

Alpha Bitch

Go to the DOT 2nd Gen Support website to find the proper way of rebooting your 2nd Gen DOT.  You did not do it right.
2nd Gen DOT also has a dedicated tech support line - 1-877-375-9365.

mike27oct

Here is the Dot Support link:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html/ref=hp_200127470_echo_dot_img?nodeId=202010090

Note that you need to reset device, and the procedure for 1st and 2nd gen Dots are different, so select the correct procedure you need.

Also, used Alexa devices MUST be deregistered using the Alexa app by previous owner; you can't do it, nor can Amazon, and this fact can prevent new owners from using it.  A lot of people who buy used devices are stuck with a useless device if it was not deregistered beforehand.  Good luck.

Also, used Alexa devices MUST be deregistered using the Alexa app by previous owner; you can't do it, nor can Amazon, and this fact can prevent new owners from using it.  A lot of people who buy used devices are stuck with a useless device if it was not deregistered beforehand.  Good luck.
Actually a factory reset of the second gen Dots will deregister all users.
I know mine locked up similarly after I switched accounts and the factory reset was the only fix.
Once it came back up I had to log into my account and reregister it.
But then again I may have just been lucky. ??? ::)

mike27oct

Interesting, Echos and 1st gen Dots were basically bricked if they had not been deregistered before a new owner could use it.

Anyway, Dots are cheap enough, so why risk buying a used one?  Echos are pricier, so why risk buying a used one if one doesn't know if it has been deregistered?