Echo & Alexa Forums

setting up the dot on a network with repeater

sailor44

setting up the dot on a network with repeater
« on: January 13, 2017, 04:10:12 pm »
I have my dot upstairs and it has network connectivity, but my (upstairs) computer cannot see it on the net. And, I have installed a net connected power plug, which shows up on the downstairsce router network. However the dot cannot connect with it

MY network looks like this: upstairs, a router configured as a repeater. downstairs, a router hard wired to the upstairs router.

MY computer upstairs shows that I am logged onto the upstairs router, but the dot (upstairs) does not show up on the list of devices on this network. Nor does it show up on the downstairs network. However, it does have network access, because it works!

How can I get the dot to control the light switch??  :'(

mike27oct

Re: setting up the dot on a network with repeater
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2017, 05:34:32 pm »
I have lots of repeaters in my home (actually known as range extenders) and ALL my devices can connect to them, because they are all connected to the same network!  Meaning, the range extenders must be connected to the main router's same SSID.  If my router signal's name is Mike's Router, the extenders must also have that same name.  Otherwise, one does not have an extender/repeater, they have a separate AccessPoint (AP) that is connected to the other router, but is not the same wi-fi network, it is on it's own network with a different name.

Yes, a second router can be a repeater, but it HAS to have same SSID name as the main router.  So, dig into your second router manual and figure out how to setup it as a repeater, not an AP.  Google is your friend here.  Btw, my range extenders can be set up in extender mode OR in AP mode, and I have some with both modes going.  Routers can do the same.