Echo & Alexa Forums

Alexa not controlling Harmony volume

Eric_L

Alexa not controlling Harmony volume
« on: January 08, 2017, 09:24:53 am »
I have tried everything to get Alexa to control my AV volume with no effective result. 

I set up a device with just my AV receiver; It has only the volume up command.  I named it "Volume up".   I have tried a variety of commands including, but not limited to;  "Alexa, turn the volume up"  "Alexa, turn on volume up"  "Alexa, tell Harmony to start volume up"  "Alexa, start volume up"  "Alexa, for the love of all that is holy turn up my #$%!ing volume".   

She most often will reply with a brief pause, a tone.  And then nothing.   I watch the device and it is not receiving any signal from the hub.   The tone Alexa responds with does seem to change.  She has two that she replies with, but I don't know what they mean.  She has never said any error messages like you would expect if she couldn't associate that command with anything.

What am I doing wrong?

Offline jwlv

Re: Alexa not controlling Harmony volume
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2017, 11:04:05 pm »
I have tried everything to get Alexa to control my AV volume with no effective result. 

I set up a device with just my AV receiver; It has only the volume up command.  I named it "Volume up".   I have tried a variety of commands including, but not limited to;  "Alexa, turn the volume up"  "Alexa, turn on volume up"  "Alexa, tell Harmony to start volume up"  "Alexa, start volume up"  "Alexa, for the love of all that is holy turn up my #$%!ing volume".   

She most often will reply with a brief pause, a tone.  And then nothing.   I watch the device and it is not receiving any signal from the hub.   The tone Alexa responds with does seem to change.  She has two that she replies with, but I don't know what they mean.  She has never said any error messages like you would expect if she couldn't associate that command with anything.

What am I doing wrong?

Your Harmony-controlled devices should all have a unique name. Assuming that you have already programmed the Harmony app to control your devices (such as your TV, AV receiver, etc), you will have to say something like "Alexa, turn up the volume on Home TV". 
Oh, by the way, you did enable the Harmony skill in the Alexa app, right?