Echo & Alexa Forums

Use Computer as Speaker for Echo Dot via Bluetooth

Big_Chubbz

Use Computer as Speaker for Echo Dot via Bluetooth
« on: January 07, 2017, 06:50:11 pm »
I can pair the Dot with my computer quite easily, however I am interested in using the COMPUTER as the speaker, not the Dot.  Whenever they pair together, the computer sees the Dot as a speaker instead of the other way around.

I am using a Windows 10 computer that is connected as an HTPC via HDMI to a home theater setup.  By using the computer as the speaker, I can stream content through my home theater speakers instead of the Dot or a small portable Bluetooth speaker.

Thanks for any help you can provide!

Re: Use Computer as Speaker for Echo Dot via Bluetooth
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2017, 07:05:54 pm »
since you are wanting to play though your home theater system, are you able to pair through the home theater system instead?  that is what I do, though the home theater is connected to my tv, I am able to pair the dot through the home theater system via bluetooth so I can play it through its speakers. 

Big_Chubbz

« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2017, 08:42:54 pm »
Thanks for the reply, but that idea won't work for me.  I'm using a Sony STR-DG1000 that unfortunately does not have Bluetooth capabilities.

Big_Chubbz

« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2017, 03:07:37 am »
Well, I'm back to answer my own question.  If anyone else ends up in this thread trying to accomplish the same thing, here's what I did.

For $16, I picked up this Bluetooth Receiver on Amazon.  I then plugged that into the mic input on the PC.  Make sure that you go to the Recording tab in the Sound control panel, double click on the icon for the "mic" you just plugged in.  Go to the Listen tab and tick the box to "Listen to this device."  There are some other settings in the other tabs that you can tweak to make sure Alexa isn't too loud or too quiet.  Click OK and you're good to go.

I really feel like there should be a software solution to make Alexa see the computer as a speaker, but I couldn't find it.  For less than $20, this problem is solved and I can get on with life.

Jerome

« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2017, 01:21:01 pm »
Sorry if I missed something here but why don't you plug your Bluetooth receiver to your Sony amplifier instead ?  ???
Like so you could directly stream Echo to your home theater without going through your PC like renegade600 is doing apparently.

Big_Chubbz

« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2017, 09:57:43 am »
Sorry if I missed something here but why don't you plug your Bluetooth receiver to your Sony amplifier instead ?  ???
Like so you could directly stream Echo to your home theater without going through your PC like renegade600 is doing apparently.

Thanks for your reply.  The main reason is so that the computer can serve as a mixer.  I watch TV, movies, and play video games all through the PC connected to the amp for surround sound.  I want Alexa to respond to my commands WHILE I'm doing those activities (music while I'm gaming, stock quotes during TV commercials, etc.)  If I connected her directly to her own input on the amp, I'd need to switch over every time I wanted to hear from her.