Echo (Alexa) User Forums

How do you do advanced calculations

How do you do advanced calculations
« on: January 05, 2017, 09:03:01 pm »
involving three numbers and parenthesis.

I say "ten minus five divided by 2"
I really want (10 - 5) / 2  which should be 2.5
But Alexa gives me 7.5 which is  10 - (5/2); she prioritized the mult/division over add/subtract
The good news it handles three numbers.

How do I organize the order of operations without resorting to two commands. It doesn't understand parenthesis/close parenthesis

Re: How do you do advanced calculations
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2017, 09:29:22 pm »
The short answer is, "you don't".  This is a case of using the wrong tool for tbe job.  Alexa's math skill is geared toward solving problems for you when you need a quick answer to a simple equation.  When you start getting so involved that you need explicit grouping of terms it's time to use a calculator.

Offline kevb

« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2017, 11:35:06 pm »
Mult/div is always prioritized over add/subtract. I'm impressed Alexa solved it that way.

« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2017, 01:46:08 am »
Mult/div is always prioritized over add/subtract. I'm impressed Alexa solved it that way.

If not explicitly specified.   Unless you want it some other way. Which I did.
I didn't even ask for transcendental functions...

« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2017, 09:39:55 am »
If Alexa got context that would solve so much. You could say 'calculate 10 minus 5' and then say 'divide that by 2'.

« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2017, 09:52:26 pm »
Alexa Applies the rules... PEMDAS.... look up that term if it makes no sense from this post... pretty cool if you ask me... but I can see where setting up your own equations might be desired without going completely scientific... But Alas... It's a very new device and is truly learning daily to be better... This bit may take some time for it to add context to it or "the ability to have conversations"...
My Alexa environment includes :
1 full Sized Echo
4 Echo Dots
1 Amazon Firestick with Alexa Voice Remote.
A Few Hue Lights with a single bridge