Echo & Alexa Forums

echo firmware

gssincla

echo firmware
« on: July 20, 2015, 10:07:11 pm »
Has anyone been able to capture the firmware image of an Echo? As a reverse engineer this would be a gold mine of information.

dj_skully

Re: echo firmware
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2015, 03:09:30 pm »
I am doing an IoT research project/series. I first worked on the WeMo line of devices and had a good deal of success in reverse-engineering and exploiting the devices. The echo was a natural next step. If I can get a copy of the firmware I will let you know! PM me a reminder for a status update if you see this.

amattadohb

« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2016, 01:18:10 pm »
Any update? It looks like your inbox is full.

dj_skully

« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2016, 08:49:24 pm »
Yep! Sorry about that. Cleared my inbox. Annoying feature of the site honestly. Shoot me a PM with your email and I'll get you on the Slack channel for echo hacking. There are about 10 or so like-minded people on there all helping each other out on this project.

Long story short we were able to build a partial file system using an update manifest that we got from a packet capture I took.

Check back tomorrow and I'll make a post about it on this forum.

Yoda_One

« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2016, 12:37:50 pm »
Amazon Echo and Echo Dot can now connect to mobile Wi-Fi hotspots
Posted on June 29, 2016
amazon-echo-dot-with-echo-front-forward

The Amazon Echo or Echo Dot have been unable to connect directly to mobile Wi-Fi hotspots unless a second device was available to facilitate the connection. This is because, to connect an Echo or Echo Dot to a Wi-Fi network, you must transfer those network settings to the Echo or Echo Dot via a temporary Wi-Fi connection. If all you have is a phone that is itself the source of the Wi-Fi network/hotspot you want the Echo or Echo Dot to connect to, then you can’t both connect to the Echo or Echo Dot’s temporary Wi-Fi connection while also keeping the hotspot connection active. This is why, up until now, you’ve needed a second device to configure the Echo or Echo Dot’s Wi-Fi settings while the phone is emitting a Wi-Fi hotspot. A new Echo and Echo Dot software update, version 3389, has resolved this limitation and now allows the Echo and Echo Dot to connect to a mobile Wi-Fi hotspot.

rsava

« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2016, 04:04:41 pm »
Except I have done this before, you just needed an extra device. I connected to my phones hotspot and used my iPad to make the connection.

To say that is "can now connect" is misleading.

Yoda_One

« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2016, 07:12:22 pm »
Your statement is prior to the latest update by Amazon as per the article it is now native.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2016, 07:20:28 pm by Yoda_One »