Echo & Alexa Forums

Echo keeps playing Christmas music when asking for a particular artist?

Diddlydoo

I gave my mom an Echo for Christmas. Some of the artists she asks it to play, bring up Christmas music. Christmas is over, how do I fix it to where she doesn't get Christmas music when she requests artists? Thanks.

Re: Echo keeps playing Christmas music when asking for a particular artist?
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2017, 06:28:23 pm »
the problem could be those artists only have christmas music available for play on the echo.  give some names

Diddlydoo

« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2017, 08:01:29 pm »
the problem could be those artists only have christmas music available for play on the echo.  give some names

She'll say Alexa, play some easy listening. She gets some Christmas music mixed in with other songs. She'll say Alexa, play some 101 Strings Orchestra or Carpenters. Even if she says, Alexa play some Michael Buble she'll get Christmas music mixed in with regular music. How to get it to where she doesn't get any Christmas music until next year at Christmas time?

Alpha Bitch

« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2017, 08:04:29 pm »
Is the Christmas music being sung by the artist your mother is requesting/asking Echo?

Diddlydoo

« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2017, 01:40:49 pm »
Is the Christmas music being sung by the artist your mother is requesting/asking Echo?

Yes, if she requests Michael Buble, then his songs will be mixed with Christmas songs, etc. I want to remove all Christmas songs. I guess I probably need to delete all from 'My music'? What's the fastest way to do that? Thanks.

« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2017, 02:22:34 pm »
the only way around this is to create play lists.  If a certain artist sings christmas music, it will always play it along with their regular music. 

https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html?nodeId=201379470

Diddlydoo

« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2017, 10:10:30 pm »
the only way around this is to create play lists.  If a certain artist sings christmas music, it will always play it along with their regular music. 

So in July, when mom asks Alexa to play Barbara Streisand music, she'll get some of her Christmas music songs mixed in. Wow! I don't know what artist my mom will feel like listening to at certain times. It's nice that she can play any artist that is Prime. It would be a huge hassle to keep putting any artists she may like in as a playiist. I wish there was a way to tell it to play a certain artist but leave out Christmas songs. Maybe that will be updated in a year or so. Thanks for your reply and help.

« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2017, 04:18:43 am »

So in July, when mom asks Alexa to play Barbara Streisand music, she'll get some of her Christmas music songs mixed in. Wow! I don't know what artist my mom will feel like listening to at certain times. It's nice that she can play any artist that is Prime. It would be a huge hassle to keep putting any artists she may like in as a playiist. I wish there was a way to tell it to play a certain artist but leave out Christmas songs. Maybe that will be updated in a year or so. Thanks for your reply and help.

well, it could get her in the mood for some of the christmas in july sales :-)

glennl122

« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2017, 09:25:29 am »
This has been driving me nuts.  I'm tired of saying "Alexa skip".  I've reported it twice to Amazon via the Alexa app and have received a fairly generic response.  I'd suggest anyone hitting this annoyance should find the request in the Alexa app history (Settings | History) and describe that you don't want Christmas music when it's not Christmas.  Perhaps enough of these reports will get some action sooner than later.  Since we're now past Christmas it seems an easy temporary fix for the Alexa team would be to restrict playing Christmas songs to when requests specifically include the word "Christmas" (assuming "Christmas" is in the song's metadata).

jim1590

« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2017, 09:34:16 am »
Set her up with iheartradio and some stations that play her preferred genre of music. It is somewhat curated (or managed if she streams an actual broadcast station) so it would be more seasonable.

dlakar

« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2017, 02:34:34 pm »
My Echo just plays Christmas music too,  my wife likes Frank Sinatra, and Bing Crosby.  all we can get now is Christmas music.  We never got Christmas Music before December, unless we asked for "holiday Music"  has anyone found a way to resolve this? we've tried Doris Day, Elvis, and a few others. 

dlakar

« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2017, 03:08:54 pm »
Just found a few things that address Christmas Playlists - Try saying "Alexa play Frank Sinatra - Jazz" she shuffles for Jazz songs by Frank Sinatra - Christmas doesn't play. I've tried this with Bing Crosby to.  It works!  "Play Bing Crosby - Jazz". Also there is a Amazon Alexa App that you can download to your phone that lets you choose music, you can link your Pandora account to Alexa on the app.  then say " Alexa "Play frank Sinatra - Pandora" 

Hatch61

« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2017, 01:22:50 pm »
I have the same problem.  I ask Alexa to "skip" when that happens. 

philnkris

« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2017, 10:41:43 am »
I have the same problem, over the holiday, I often told alexa to simply play "Christmas music" now I have chosen today for example: johnny Mathis, harry connick jr, dean martin, barbara streisand, adelle, I only get Christmas songs by these artists first, and I have to "skip" through them all to get to normal genre's. I have to assume I have some how educated Alexa over the holiday, that all I want to hear is Christmas music and now that's all she plays for me. Is there a way to do a "factory reset" or something? I can't find much about this but I'm, assuming it's relatively new. help.  This only seems to happen when I ask for an artist by name and not a particular song. I see there are many others experincing this, but I do not find a resolve.

rjdipietro

« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2017, 07:16:33 pm »
I chatted with Amazon support and they suggested resetting the Echo, which is done by pushing a paperclip into the little hole on the bottom.    This mostly worked, although when shuffling music Alexa still inserts a Christmas song now and then.   But certainly better than before when about every third song was Christmas.   I don't think the music feature of Alexa is ready for prime time.   I noticed that it tends to get "stuck" on certain artists and/or genres.   But they'll probably work these kinks out soon.    Overall it's a fabulous toy.