Echo & Alexa Forums

Budget always on speakers

Who Let The Dogs Out

Budget always on speakers
« on: January 01, 2017, 01:23:48 pm »
Some of use that are new Echo Dot owners are on a budget, but are looking for better and louder speakers.

I am currently considering the OontZ Angle, Anker and DKnight Magicbox II. But I am worried about the battery saving auto shut off feature that all the portable Bluetooth speakers seem to have. I know it is a bit more expensive, but I am also looking at the Vizio 29-Inch 2.0 Channel Sound Bar, simply because there is a way to turn off the auto power save feature. But, than I worry that the sound bar bu itself without the subwoofer will not provide enough bass.

As many Echo Dots as have been sold, it seems to me manufactures should consider producing a new class of AC powered always-on indoor Bluetooth speakers that are marketed to budget shoppers like me. I don't need to pay for a battery. I don't need a microphone for answering cell phone calls. I am not a fanatic audiophile. I just want to have an always-on speaker with decent sound.

I really just mean this as a way to start a discussion on budget speakers in general, but any recommendations to address my dilemma are welcome.  :)

Alpha Bitch

Re: Budget always on speakers
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2017, 02:30:12 pm »
I really just mean this as a way to start a discussion on budget speakers in general, but any recommendations to address my dilemma are welcome.
A quick Google search found this---> How To Turn Any Wired Speaker Set Into Bluetooth Wireless Speakers

Do a Google search for other suggestions.

Who Let The Dogs Out

« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2017, 03:04:39 pm »
Cool! Thanks! I just was not thinking the problem all the way though I guess.  :)

It looks like the Dot has a bad habit of auto connecting to devices like this. For me, that would not be a real problem, because I plan to use the Dot as my prime music source, but I thought I should add this to the conversation.

Are there any BT adapters that stay disconnected from Dot? This one doesn't.

I have not found one yet to use with my AV unit.

anjenaire

« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2017, 06:35:43 pm »
I just picked up a Marshall Acton speaker at Costco for $120 if that is within your budget. Works great as a kitchen radio coupled with the Dot to listen to local radio stations through Tune-In. Plus if I don't want to fire up the receiver it will play some nice dinner music. Only negative is the audio input is on the top of the unit.  Wish it was out the rear of the speaker.

Eric_L

« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2017, 08:43:06 am »
Why not get a set of PC speakers?  They should consumer only a minute amount of power when idle and there are may available with exceptional sound quality.   Most you can even set the left and right speakers apart from each other - which you cannot do with bluetooth speakers. 

steved28

« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2017, 08:28:57 am »
Why not get a set of PC speakers?  They should consumer only a minute amount of power when idle and there are may available with exceptional sound quality.   Most you can even set the left and right speakers apart from each other - which you cannot do with bluetooth speakers.

This is exactly what I did. I had a retired set of fairly nice Logitech PC speakers I used to use when I ran a tower. They were just collecing dust. Now they are a dedicated speaker set for my office echo dot.