Echo & Alexa Forums

Is there a way to switch bluetooth speakers via Alexa?

Is there a way to switch bluetooth speakers via Alexa?
« on: December 31, 2016, 08:06:37 pm »
I have a Dot in my bedroom and have linked it via bluetooth to a speaker on my nightstand and another stereo in my master bath.  I want to be able to use Alexa to control both systems.  It seems though, that I cannot change the bluetooth connection with any kind of verbal command?!?  It seems that I have to get my phone and use the Alexa app to do this.  This seems very stupid as I would like to swap between them frequently.

Has anyone run into this issue?  Is there a way to switch bluetooth connections without digging up the app and doingi it manually?

Thanks!

DParker

Re: Is there a way to switch bluetooth speakers via Alexa?
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2016, 08:55:18 pm »
It seems though, that I cannot change the bluetooth connection with any kind of verbal command?!?  It seems that I have to get my phone and use the Alexa app to do this.  This seems very stupid as I would like to swap between them frequently.

Have you tried...

"Alexa, disconnect {device-1-name}."

"Alexa, connect {device-2-name}."

...?

mike27oct

« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2016, 09:01:59 pm »
>>>   This seems very stupid as I would like to swap between them frequently.

Nothing "stupid" going on here if the user is "smart enough".  I do this any time I want to.  Basically, you have two BT receivers you want to send the output of Dot to, right?

First, have only ONE of the BT speakers on.  Assuming the two speakers have already paired to the Dot, tell the Dot to "connect bluetooth" and it will connect to the one that is on; even if music is playing already on the Dot. 

OK, so now you want to switch to the BT stereo?  Tell the Dot to "disconnect bluetooth" to shut down the feed to the first speaker.  Now, turn on the second BT receiver and tell Dot to "connect bluetooth" again, and it should, but if the first one started again, just turn off its power. and try second one again by giving command to Dot.

nedly

« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2017, 10:47:37 am »
No as only one bluetooth device/speaker can be controlled at a time.  it does not read device name only has connect and disconnect.

« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2017, 12:25:38 am »
>>>   This seems very stupid as I would like to swap between them frequently.

Nothing "stupid" going on here if the user is "smart enough".  I do this any time I want to.  Basically, you have two BT receivers you want to send the output of Dot to, right?

First, have only ONE of the BT speakers on.  Assuming the two speakers have already paired to the Dot, tell the Dot to "connect bluetooth" and it will connect to the one that is on; even if music is playing already on the Dot. 

OK, so now you want to switch to the BT stereo?  Tell the Dot to "disconnect bluetooth" to shut down the feed to the first speaker.  Now, turn on the second BT receiver and tell Dot to "connect bluetooth" again, and it should, but if the first one started again, just turn off its power. and try second one again by giving command to Dot.

What STUPID pain the ass that is.  It should be able to recognize the name of the speaker iteself and connect as name commanded even if they are both on...

mike27oct

« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2017, 12:50:54 am »
It seems this is the way it is.  Guess you ought to complain to Amazon.  I just be sure I switch speakers and this is how I can do it.

michaelmacpherson

« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2017, 01:25:48 pm »
Yes, I found a way...

Had Edifier speakers hooked up to echo dot with Bluetooth - no problem. Wife got a Sharkk 2 O ("waterproof") Bluetooth speaker, hooked it up - no problem. But wait, Edifier speakers are quiet now. Alexa app on phone let's me switch back and forth - OK. But what about verbal to Alexa?
Yay, said "Alexa, disconnect" and she disconnected from Sharkk and reconnected to Edifier speakers with little delay.
Said "Alex, connect to "Sharkk 2 O" (name in Alexa app)" and she did. Bluetooth name for Edifier is horrible - glad I connected it first since it appears to be the default speaker.
And, took battery powered (built in recharge) Sharkk 2 O upstairs to write this and it's still playing Alexa's version of "Classical Piano" - not really classical or strictly piano - but it suits us just fine  :) I'm pretty deaf (:( )so as long as it's loud and I can hear it (the music) - I'm happy.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2017, 01:28:23 pm by michaelmacpherson »

mike27oct

« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2017, 05:55:06 pm »
Yep, and sometimes it does it when you are not expecting it to swap speakers/devices.  Example, yesterday:

I was playing music from iPad to BT speaker, then I disconnected the source feeding the iPad via wireless, , , ,

I left things as they were and a while later, I ask a nearby Dot the time -- silence.  After trying to figure out why the silence, I unplugged the Dot and heard it disconnect from the BT speaker I had been using with iPad.  Seems that the Dot jumped onto the speaker that was free and was why I heard nothing from Dot until I also turned off BT speaker.  Too many BT devices on can cause all sorts of issues!