0 (0%)
SH3 resolved my connectivity probs
1 (100%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Red ring of death

Corotron

Red ring of death
« on: December 31, 2016, 11:12:31 am »
If anyone using Virgin media in the UK is having connection problems with their Echo Dot 2 generally when connecting Bluetooth speakers read on.
Problem is with Super Hub 2
After connecting Bluetooth red ring on dot lights up and Alexa says unable to answer that at the moment.  Tried 5ghz lower band frequency,  reserved ip address,  a million resets.  Also only certain bluetooth speakers would connect.
Solution is to phone Virgin media request the Super Hub 3,  you may be charged 15 pounds (worth every penny)
Set up new router and now everything is working without any problems and fast.  Can now store multiple bluetooth speakers per dot via the Amazon app.   perfect. By the way with the SH3 everything is working faster (I have 6 Chromecast audio's as well).

So if you are in the UK and on Virgin Media with Amazon Echo dots just request an upgraded Super Hub 3
« Last Edit: December 31, 2016, 11:24:43 am by Corotron »

GTODave

Re: Red ring of death
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2017, 05:47:17 pm »
Thanks :), this has been driving me crazy. 1st it wouldn't stay connected to my superhub2. I managed to fix that by adjusting my 5ghz to a lower setting but the blue tooth causing it to go off line had me stumped. I'll be phoning virgin tomorrow.  8)

RobertinHerts

Re: Red ring of death - Virgin Media UK
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2017, 04:00:12 pm »
Is it just Bluetooth that causes the drop-out using the Virgin media Superhub2 router?

I'm finding the connection unreliable without even using Bluetooth. I lost connection to the internet on all devices, WiFi and wired, which is very odd as Virgin Fibre-To-Cabinet is normally VERY reliable here.

This is a valuable alert for those of us using this Broadband provider with this particular router, I think I'll request a move to the Superhub3 in case that's causing my problems with the Echo Dot. It wouldn't have occurred to me that the Router could be the cause!

Thanks Corotron :)

RobertinHerts

« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2017, 07:03:09 am »
I've just spoken to Gary at Virgin media technical desk in Swansea. He told me that his brother-in-law had the same problem with his Echo dot and a British Telecom ISP router.

He believes it's the Bluetooth which is interfering with the Wi-Fi and neither changing the Wi-Fi channel nor the router will make any difference.

@Corotron Have you made any other changes than using the replacement router? Are things fine now? Thanks.

Charmin

« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2017, 08:20:25 pm »
It's pretty well reported that BT routers are causing problems, it is something to do with Parental Control settings, they are sorting a fix for it although not implemented yet.
The Virgin guy did to you what they do to all customers, fobbed you off, they are told to just bluff there way through until the third call or if the customer stays on the phone longer than 40 mins, even then you will be lucky.

Hope that helps...