Echo & Alexa Forums

Echo and Dlink DSP-W215 (UK)

Scubalee

Echo and Dlink DSP-W215 (UK)
« on: October 04, 2016, 04:12:08 pm »
Hi, wondering if anybody has had any luck in using the Dlink DSP-W215 smart socket with their Echo? Dlink claim it is fully compatible but it doesn't show when you "Discover New Devices".  I can't see a skill for it either.  I have a Belkin Wemo Switch that works perfectly. Welcome your thoughts. Cheers all.

Scubalee

Re: Echo and Dlink DSP-W215 (UK)
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2016, 05:44:12 am »
Hi All,

just a quick update.  I received the following reply from D-Link support;

Dear Mr. Smith,

With regards this request, I have been informed that Alexa Skill is beging worked on currently and should be released soon.

I have no official release date as yet.

Kind Regards,

D-Link Support.

udonbound

« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2016, 12:24:44 pm »
Any movement on the app release i have 3 sockets i would like to control through my echo

Tomo

« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2017, 08:07:15 am »

The Dlink skill isn't available yet in the U.K. but there is a workaround.

download an app called IFTTT (at least that's what's it's called for the iPhone) open the app up and do a search for 'D-Link' (type it exactly as shown here). It will bring up a number of D-Link items which should include the smart plug. Click on the smart plug icon and you'll see 5 applets all ready to use; things like 'turn off all lights when leaving home' or 'turn coffee maker on when the sun rises.'

All I wanted was to use my smart plug to turn the lamp on in the living room so I did the following:-

1. Tap on the small 'applet maker' button which brings up a simple screen with the words IF THIS THEN THAT.
2. Tap on 'this' and type 'alexa' in the search bar. It should bring up a Amazon Alexa icon which you need to select
3. Next choose a trigger from the options provided- I chose 'say a specific phrase'
4. It asks you what you want the phrase to be. At first I choose 'turn on living room lamp' but that was too long so I shortened it to 'lamp on'. Make sure you type in lower case only. Tap 'next'
5.select the 'that' option which should have a + sign next to it and be highlighted blue.
6. Select the D-Link smart plug option then choose an action. I choose 'turn on'
7. This screen confirms that you will be turning on your selected smart plug. Tap next.
8. Press 'finish' and you should be ready to go!
These steps created an applet to turn my living room lamp on using Alexa voice command. All I have to say is 'Alexa - trigger lamp on'. Alexa confi s that she's sent the command to ifttt and a few seconds later the lamp comes on!

Please note that you will have to repeat the steps above to create an applet to turn the plug off. Just change the trigger phrase to 'lamp off' (step 4) and the action to 'turn off' (step 6). This will then allow to speak to Alexa and say 'Alexa- trigger lamp off!'

Obviously I've used my smart plug for a lamp but you could use any trigger phrase depending on what you've connected to the plug, I.e Alexa- trigger TV on, or trigger PS4 on etc. It should keep people happy until D-Link release their actual skill in the UK.

DParker

« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2017, 08:39:41 am »
Hi, wondering if anybody has had any luck in using the Dlink DSP-W215 smart socket with their Echo? Dlink claim it is fully compatible but it doesn't show when you "Discover New Devices".  I can't see a skill for it either.  I have a Belkin Wemo Switch that works perfectly. Welcome your thoughts. Cheers all.

Go back to the Skills section of your Alexa apo and search for "mydlink", then enable that skill.