Echo & Alexa Forums

Alexa, what is [my son's name]'s telephone number?

classixuk

Alexa, what is [my son's name]'s telephone number?
« on: December 26, 2016, 06:09:54 am »
Hi Folks,

So I've been searching since yesterday how I can get Alexa to tell my elderly mother what phone numbers she might need, such as her hairdresser, her doctor, her bank, me (her son) etc.

I assumed that Alexa would have a skill for this, or it would be built in with the Google calendar integration?

It seems like a huge oversight that a 'virtual personal assistant' can't remember phone numbers and email addresses?

I get that she can ask Alexa for the contact details of local businesses, but how about the contact details of the people she actually calls regularly?

Am I missing something? I've tried asking every type of question possible, but Alexa doesn't understand what I mean when I ask her, "Alexa, what is my mother's telephone number?" (Yes, I have saved the entry in Google contacts as 'My mother'.

Hoping you folks can give me some pointers on how to provide this essential service for my mum.

Thanks.

strayfish

Re: Alexa, what is [my son's name]'s telephone number?
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2016, 07:53:20 am »
There's a skill called Debby Onsite that might help. It's not exactly designed for phone numbers but I used it to tell me what a completed timer indicated. It's a bit clumsy but if your mother can handle a string that goes, 'Alexa, ask Debby Onsite what X's phone number is', it will tell her, 'You'll probably find X's phone number is XXXX'. I've just checked something I put in a few days ago, and it's still there so I'm thinking you could store those numbers by saying, 'Alexa, tell Debby Onsite X's phone number is XXX', 'Alexa, tell Debby Onsite Y's phone number is YYYY', and so on. It won't be able to phone for her though.

There's also Ask My Buddy that keeps contact numbers/email/text so a user can alert specific people - or everyone on the contacts list - that they need help. Obviously not a replacement for an emergency system but you can at least activate it hands-free.

« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2016, 08:50:42 am »
you can always create audio files for phone numbers and save them in your amazon music cloud. 

Offline kevb

« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2016, 09:48:57 am »
It might be easier to simply place a written list near the phone. It could be difficult for your mother to enter the numbers into the phone at the pace Alexa would read them, assuming you can get this to work (no, you can't slow her down) Audio isn't always the best way to convey information.

mike27oct

« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2016, 07:03:29 pm »
Get your mother an affordable cell phone that has a Contacts list to call from that you can populate for her.  Alexa is not designed to do what you want it to do.

Melvinoat

« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2017, 12:38:04 pm »
Obviously from the responses providing off topic solutions, this seemingly simple, and very useful,  task is beyond the capabilities of the device. Is this correct?

« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2017, 05:02:58 pm »
Obviously from the responses providing off topic solutions, this seemingly simple, and very useful,  task is beyond the capabilities of the device. Is this correct?

the possible solutions were NOT off topic.  off topic means the post has absolutely nothing to do with the thread. 

also you have to consider there will be more than one person with the same name in the world so it may not be as simple as you think. 

asianrocker

« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2017, 08:31:12 pm »
Don't know about Alexa but any smart phone has the skill you need as far as I know.

It actually dials the number for you too. Have not used it myself but tried it with  OK Google command on  my phone.

Command is easy enough - call (contact name)
« Last Edit: September 23, 2017, 08:40:24 pm by asianrocker »

amcstar1

« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2018, 08:20:25 pm »
I’m new to Alexa and just received my Echo and Dot last week.  I don’t know if it’s an update since the last reply, but Alexa will remember a phone number (or anything else) you tell her.  Say, “Alexa, remember (...)”, and she will.  When you need the info, simple call up the topic again.  She does repeat phone numbers rather quickly, though.

froglips

« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2018, 01:20:17 am »
I’m new to Alexa and just received my Echo and Dot last week.  I don’t know if it’s an update since the last reply, but Alexa will remember a phone number (or anything else) you tell her.  Say, “Alexa, remember (...)”, and she will.  When you need the info, simple call up the topic again.  She does repeat phone numbers rather quickly, though.

THIS!  amcstar1 is exactly right.  To do what you want, all you need to do is  Say, "Alexa remember....my mother's telephone number is (###) ###-####" Now whenever you say "Alexa what's my mothers phone number", Alexa will say the number.  For phone numbers it might work well to repeat the number twice. 
« Last Edit: August 17, 2018, 01:40:45 am by froglips »

asianrocker

« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2018, 05:42:20 am »
LOL so it only took 2 years for Amazon to figure it out? Wow that's progress. Honestly though. Why bother asking for a phone number when it can dial it for you. Like my post said. I mean smartphone can do it ages ago.

Alexa can do It if you pay Amazon again for another useless device. Ugh.