Echo & Alexa Forums

amazon-xxx network password during app setup?

javellar

amazon-xxx network password during app setup?
« on: December 25, 2016, 11:09:47 pm »
So I have done this to two different Echos.. Merry Christmas to me   :-\   

I connect my mobile device to the dot's amazon-xxx wifi network as instructed during setup.  The next step of the app's setup is to connect to  my home wifi.  It fails and then the app asks again to connect to the dot's amazon-xxx network.  However, here is the problem --this time when I select the dot's amazon-xxx network it asks for a password.    I tired rebooting, reseting to factory default, entering my wifi password, but nothing works.  I'm just stuck with the dot asking for a password when I try to connect the app to it's amazon-xxx network.

Can anyone tell me a little bit about the Echo's amazon-xxx network security config during the innitial setup process with the app? 

Thanks much!

mike27oct

Re: amazon-xxx network password during app setup?
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2016, 11:50:34 pm »
Unplug both Dots that are acting up.  Leave them unplugged for FIVE minutes (do this, according to Amazon online Help.  Now that they have cleared out their circuits, plug them in, and let them give you the next instruction and follow it.  Do one device at a time.

Offline jwlv

« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2016, 12:52:56 am »
iPhones, Samsung phones, and maybe others have a "feature" that will use cell data when it detects that the Wifi connection is slow or dead. If your phone has this "feature" you should turn it off before setting up your Echo.

If it is on, when you connect to the Echo's Wifi (amazon-xxx), your phone will automatically switch to cell data because there's no internet access on amazon-xxx. Cell data is outside your house somewhere and not your home network. So when you switch back to the Amazon app, it either crashes, freezes, or just can't detect your Echo. The reason is the Echo tried to connect to the cell data network and obviously it can't. And the app is back on your home network trying to look for the Echo.

On iPhone it looks likes this

On Samsung it looks like this
« Last Edit: December 26, 2016, 01:02:35 am by jwlv »

mike27oct

« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2016, 01:59:00 am »
@jwlv

Your comment above  (>>> "If it is on, when you connect to the Echo's Wifi (amazon-xxx), your phone will automatically switch to cell data because there's no internet access on amazon-xxx." ) made sense and sounded logical when I first read it, but after further thought about it does not seem to be the case for these reasons:

1)  I have setup many Echo devices with that feature always ON on my iPhone, and Most every device got set up, if not the first time, then after another try or two.

2) I have a few different wireless drives; both hard drives and flash drives, and of course, there is no internet on them, only their internal wi-fi signal.  I have media on these drives I can access for a long time (e.g. a movie) and I just stay connected to drive's wi-fi (but cannot use my cell phone or internet).  So, obviously my phone does not auto-switch over to cellular network just because I have no internet.  I see no difference between amazon-xxx or a wireless drive's signal in this regard.

Am I understanding this correctly?  If not, tell where I am incorrect.

(As an unrelated-to-Echo side note regarding the wireless drives:
They have a feature where they can be connected to internet if I concurrently connect the wireless drive's wi-fi signal to the home network's wi-fi, then I have other capabilities such as internet access so text msgs, etc can come in, and I have flexibility of moving away from the wireless drive and going anywhere with my mobile device my home network wi-fi signal is strong enough, and I do; to watch movies on iPad, etc.)

RexEcho

« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2017, 07:19:57 pm »
None of this works.  I am trying to set up my Echo Dot in a company office.  I have gone through set up and done it successfully, but when I moved my desk, shut off my Echo and went through setup again, I get asked for a password when selecting the Amazon-XXX network.  I've tried more passwords than I care to think about to no avail.  Something doesn't make sense here.  Why when I go through initial start up, no problem.  Now, restarting all goes to hell.

mike27oct

« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2017, 10:21:30 pm »
You said you had it working, then you cnanged locations, so why wasn't it still working?  Why did you have to go through setup again?  The password you need is the password for the wireless network you are connecting to.

kevdanhb

« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2017, 05:52:08 pm »
I had to set up an amazon Echo Dot in our office and I was having the same issue with getting "Incorrect password for Amazon-XXX" when trying to connect to the Amazon echo's SSID from the iPhone we were using.

After being on a call for an hour with Amazon support they were saying it was something with our firewall. I thought it highly unlikely since it was an issue connecting to the Amazon's wifi not the allowing of traffic through the network. Especially since we were not even connected to the network yet.

At the office we use Meraki for wireless access points. We have them set to contain Rogue SSIDs using Air Marshall since we ship hotspots to some customers. If too many of the hotspots are in the office, it can cause issues with the wireless network.

I went into Air Marshall in the Meraki portal and I whitelisted the Amazon-XXX SSID. After doing that, I was able to connect to the Amazon-XXX SSID just fine from the phone we were using to setup the devices.

I hope this helps. It does leave the Amazon-XXX as a Rogue SSID in Air Marshall so that is a bit concerning. But the echo dot shouldn't be putting out the SSID all the time, only during setup.

mike27oct

« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2017, 03:29:40 pm »
It appears all you are trying to do is connect the Alexa device to a different wi-fi that it was already set up for/  When I do this at a different location I do not need to start with connecting to Amazon-XXX I just select the network I need to connect to and put in that network's passwor.  Noe, if you are trying to set this up for the very first time, you will get AmazonXXX, but you did not say you are doing this.

spankym

« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2017, 12:05:33 am »
I had to set up an amazon Echo Dot in our office and I was having the same issue with getting "Incorrect password for Amazon-XXX" when trying to connect to the Amazon echo's SSID from the iPhone we were using.

After being on a call for an hour with Amazon support they were saying it was something with our firewall. I thought it highly unlikely since it was an issue connecting to the Amazon's wifi not the allowing of traffic through the network. Especially since we were not even connected to the network yet.

At the office we use Meraki for wireless access points. We have them set to contain Rogue SSIDs using Air Marshall since we ship hotspots to some customers. If too many of the hotspots are in the office, it can cause issues with the wireless network.

I went into Air Marshall in the Meraki portal and I whitelisted the Amazon-XXX SSID. After doing that, I was able to connect to the Amazon-XXX SSID just fine from the phone we were using to setup the devices.

I hope this helps. It does leave the Amazon-XXX as a Rogue SSID in Air Marshall so that is a bit concerning. But the echo dot shouldn't be putting out the SSID all the time, only during setup.

Thank you so much for this.  It was exactly the issue I was having and really suspected it was something in my Meraki configuration, but wasn't sure what until I saw this.  I would see the Amazon device SSID and could sometimes connect and sometimes would get prompted for a password (even though it is an open network) and then it would immediately disconnect.  Exactly as I had configured my system to do with rogue SSID's like this.