Echo & Alexa Forums

Phillips Hue. Do I need a hub?

nimage

Phillips Hue. Do I need a hub?
« on: December 24, 2016, 08:01:20 pm »
Hi. Newbie question.  Im about to order 2 Echo dots and approximately 6 Phillips Hue, the regular white one.. do I need a Hub?

If you have a nice router, thats have something to do?

Im a little lost on this..  im been reading old post here... but they ask about the hub, but I could not find if you need one.. or two?  That another question..  why people have a few hubs..   

I apologize for so many questions..

I will appreciated any help..

Thanks 

Offline kevb

Re: Phillips Hue. Do I need a hub?
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2016, 08:09:37 pm »
You will need a Philips Hue Hub to control the bulbs. Then the Echo Dots will be able to contact the Hub to control the bulbs. Philips Hue Bulbs will not work without the Hue Hub.

nimage

« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2016, 09:01:05 pm »
Thanks!!

What about the bridge? Im been looking for price and I saw a kit with a bridge. Do I need that? Or just the hub? 

Thanks again!

DParker

« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2016, 09:11:42 pm »
Thanks!!

What about the bridge? Im been looking for price and I saw a kit with a bridge. Do I need that? Or just the hub? 

Thanks again!

Phillips refers to their hub as a "bridge", so you're talking about the same thing.

nimage

« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2016, 09:45:14 pm »
Thanks for your help!

« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2016, 11:28:26 pm »
there should be a packaged deal for a hub and two white bulbs and it should save you a few dollars.   then you can purchased the rested of your bulbs with it. 

nimage

« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2016, 11:09:18 am »
there should be a packaged deal for a hub and two white bulbs and it should save you a few dollars.   then you can purchased the rested of your bulbs with it.

But...  Did that Phillips hub works with other equipments as well? I was planing to buy the Samsung Smarthings hub, because I can add a lot of different brands, and buy the phillips light.

What you recommend?

Thanks

DParker

« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2016, 12:32:51 pm »

But...  Did that Phillips hub works with other equipments as well? I was planing to buy the Samsung Smarthings hub, because I can add a lot of different brands, and buy the phillips light.

What you recommend?

Thanks

See my response in the other thread you started on this.

nimage

« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2016, 02:16:55 pm »
Thanks

jim1590

« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2017, 03:20:59 pm »
For anyone wondering, the 2nd gen Hue Hub package with the 2 plain white bulbs is out of stock / expensive at a lot of places.

The 1st gen Hue Hub can be found on ebay for 10 bucks and will work the same as the 2nd gen.

The ONLY change other than shape is the 2nd gen supports apples home software.

« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2017, 05:45:15 pm »
The HA-Bridge implies you can control Hue bulbs with out a hub.
However you'd require a small PC running 24/7 to do this. ;)