Echo & Alexa Forums

Echo Turning on When No Command Givin

HappyCamper

Echo Turning on When No Command Givin
« on: December 23, 2016, 07:20:45 am »
 Last week my wife called me at work and said the Echo turned on and started playing music very loudly when no command was issued. She was sound asleep in our bed room, ( not the same room the Echo is in ), and the Echo turned on and woke her up. We have no preset alarms programed into the unit and it has not done this again, ( about a week now ).
 Has anyone else encountered this phenomenon.
I am wondering if I should just disconnect the power from the Echo when we are not using it, which sort of defeats its purpose. 
 Has anyone else had this happen to them.

mike27oct

Re: Echo Turning on When No Command Givin
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2016, 02:46:28 pm »
This can happen if you had been listening to a tunein station earlier that for whatever reason suddenly went silent. A few hours later the station comes back on and since the Echo was still connected to station, the music plays again.  Your Echo is not defective, it can come on all by itself for a few reasons; this is just one of them.

coyote

« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2016, 10:07:28 am »
This can happen if you had been listening to a tunein station earlier that for whatever reason suddenly went silent. A few hours later the station comes back on and since the Echo was still connected to station, the music plays again.  Your Echo is not defective, it can come on all by itself for a few reasons; this is just one of them.
Hmmm. That presents an opportunity to circumvent the current limitations on pushing data to Echo. Want an intercom? Set up a station on one of the internet streaming services, and have your Echo devices link to it. Then set up an app where the sole purpose is to accept spoken input, and send it to that service.

Dunno if it's possible in reality. But certainly, from a tech perspective it could be doable.

StevenR

« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2016, 10:49:21 am »
Hmmm. That presents an opportunity to circumvent the current limitations on pushing data to Echo. Want an intercom? Set up a station on one of the internet streaming services, and have your Echo devices link to it. Then set up an app where the sole purpose is to accept spoken input, and send it to that service.

Dunno if it's possible in reality. But certainly, from a tech perspective it could be doable.

It would probably be easier to do this by having a phone or other device (maybe even a Raspberry Pi) connected to the Echo via Bluetooth, playing audio when required.

DParker

« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2016, 12:04:40 pm »
It would probably be easier to do this by having a phone or other device (maybe even a Raspberry Pi) connected to the Echo via Bluetooth, playing audio when required.

Yep.  In fact this is routinely done by many SmartThings users (including myself) by running a mobile app called "Lannouncer" that accepts push TTS notifications from the ST platform and then plays them on your Echo/Dot by way of a Bluetooth connection from the mobile device the app is running on.

« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2016, 06:15:06 pm »

I don't know the name of it but there is already a device that uses the echo in their intercom

https://www.amazon.com/Nucleus-Anywhere-Intercom-Amazon-Alexa/dp/B019JSE7PC?th=1.