Echo & Alexa Forums

Use Echo to summon Help

Zotie

Use Echo to summon Help
« on: January 19, 2017, 04:36:44 am »
Hello,
I’ve just purchased an Echo to help my daugter out who is a wheelchair user. I need to set the Echo up so she is able to to be able to summon help, via some sort of notification to a couple of selectable Android phones.  For example  - “Alexa ask mum for help” or “Alexa ask dad for help” and if it’s realy serious and she needs anyone then “Alexa get help”

I’ve had a look around the internet and found a American site that will do it but it restricts the number of calls you can make if you are outside USA and I’m in the UK

Any advice or pointers would be gratefully received.
Thanks, Iain

strayfish

Re: Use Echo to summon Help
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2017, 05:28:45 am »

I’ve had a look around the internet and found a American site that will do it but it restricts the number of calls you can make if you are outside USA and I’m in the UK

Was this it? https://askmybuddy.net/ As I understand it, there's a limit on the number of contacts you can register but I wasn't aware of restrictions to the number of calls, although when I tested it, my sister was surprised to get a call from Florida and that must cost. I'm in the UK too and this interests me as a piece of assistive technology for vulnerable adults.

Zotie

Re: Use Echo to summon Help - solution found
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2017, 06:12:53 pm »

Was this it? https://askmybuddy.net/ As I understand it, there's a limit on the number of contacts you can register but I wasn't aware of restrictions to the number of calls, although when I tested it, my sister was surprised to get a call from Florida and that must cost. I'm in the UK too and this interests me as a piece of assistive technology for vulnerable adults.

Hi Strayfish,

Yes it was askmybuddy that I found. It looks like a good system but I want something to also use on a daily basis.

I've been having a play this evening and have come up with a solution to my problem. I've created an ifttt applet to combine an Alexa message that then sends a notification to Pushover which I have just installed on my phone. Pushover isn't completely free but it would appear, from first try, to work really well. In ifttt you can select one or all Pushover devices that you have set up and you can also set the notification ring tone.

Cheers Zotie

strayfish

« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2017, 06:20:00 pm »
I've created an ifttt applet to combine an Alexa message that then sends a notification to Pushover which I have just installed on my phone. Pushover isn't completely free but it would appear, from first try, to work really well. In ifttt you can select one or all Pushover devices that you have set up and you can also set the notification ring tone.

Cheers Zotie

That looks handy, thanks - I'll follow up. Your applet sounds useful too - I may get back to you about that :)

AskMyBuddy

« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2017, 11:02:55 am »
Hi Zotie and Strayfish,
We are glad to read that you are finding the solutions you need.  We here at AskMyBuddy truly feel technology should be leveraged to make life easier for everyone!  We want to take this opportunity to clarify the alert limits. 

For the free accounts, we do have a monthly 60 alert limit (it is 120 if you registered before 1/4/2017).  The alerts are counted each, whether text message or voice call.  For example, alert Lisa who has both a text number and a voice number entered will count as 2.  The calls / SMS do originate from a USA number, but the limitations are worldwide.  We do have options to increase the monthly limits.  Feel free to send us email support@askmybuddy.net
The Ask My Buddy Crew

strayfish

« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2017, 12:29:43 pm »
Good to know, thanks :)