Echo & Alexa Forums

Uk bought....will it work in Spain?

musicteacher30

Uk bought....will it work in Spain?
« on: December 06, 2016, 04:01:00 am »
Hi everyone,

A bit of advice please. My friend in Spain would like to get an Amazon Echo for his wife for Christmas. He has asked me to bring one over when I visit him next week. However, I do have some concerns over whether it will work in Spain. Probably a silly question...! Will they be able to use it fully in Spain if bought here in the UK? He is struggling to get one over there which makes me think that's because they cant be used there...?!
Any help would be great.
Thanks!  :)

bromsman

Re: Uk bought....will it work in Spain?
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2016, 04:01:53 am »
If your friend has a UK Amazon account I don't see why it should not work but it may want to tell UK time and weather you may have to say "Alexa what's the time in Spain" Alexa whats the weather in Spain". A bit like we had to do when we had Echo's in the UK working on US Amazon before UK release.

dankeohane

« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2016, 11:36:56 am »
I have a uk echo working here in spain. You can set the postcode to gibraltar to get the correct time-zone. Everything seems to work ok

DParker

« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2016, 12:10:37 pm »
If you get it working please post here about it, including what music you've been able to get it to play.  That way I can finally say, "Well, I've never been to Spain, but I kinda' like the music."

jacpam

« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2016, 06:00:12 am »
Yes, I can confirm that the Echo works fine here in Spain and I am grateful to dankeohane for the suggestion to set the location to the Gibraltar post code so now at least my calendar entries appear at the correct time!   I am involved with the local computer club here in Spain and yesterday we had a presentation comparing responses from Google Assistant, Cortana and my Echo - unfortunately our Apple colleague was not able to attend to demonstrate Siri.   It was interesting and amusing.   To make the most of the Echo I personally consider that it is worthwhile subscribing to Amazon UK Prime. 

dyt

« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2016, 11:09:34 am »
All works perfect in Spain less the amazon prime music, not available here yet (If you have a prime spanish account), the amazon cloud works perfect.
for get the weather you need to add your city's name
Since now I used a germeany address get the time (same time as here), now i'll try with a Gibraltar address

renadunne

« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2017, 05:54:30 am »
Yes, I can confirm that the Echo works fine here in Spain and I am grateful to dankeohane for the suggestion to set the location to the Gibraltar post code so now at least my calendar entries appear at the correct time!   I am involved with the local computer club here in Spain and yesterday we had a presentation comparing responses from Google Assistant, Cortana and my Echo - unfortunately our Apple colleague was not able to attend to demonstrate Siri.   It was interesting and amusing.   To make the most of the Echo I personally consider that it is worthwhile subscribing to Amazon UK Prime.

renadunne

« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2017, 05:58:32 am »
I've changed my address to Gibraltar and I still cannot download the Alexa app here in Spain.  I've also tried using a VPN from the UK, still no luck.  Can anyone give me detailed point by point instructions on how to get my Echo working please?  I'm losing my rag here!

Jerome

« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2017, 05:25:34 pm »
I've changed my address to Gibraltar and I still cannot download the Alexa app here in Spain.  I've also tried using a VPN from the UK, still no luck.  Can anyone give me detailed point by point instructions on how to get my Echo working please?  I'm losing my rag here!
What do you mean by "the Alexa app" ?
I live in France and I configured my Echo (bought on Amazon UK) on an Amazon US account, all through http://alexa.amazon.com/ on my desktop (using Chrome)
You can now easily set the timezone outside the US.
Thanks to my VPN, I was able to create accounts for Pandora and iHeartRadio and linked both to the Echo.
(you have dirty cheap VPN offers here)

oldfart

« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2017, 04:07:24 pm »
I bought the Dit in the UK, live in Tenerife.
The dot works, but doesn't know anything about my location.
I get music from my premium Spotify account - that works ok.

Nikko1965

« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2017, 06:08:55 am »
Just to add my tuppence to the pot, I bought a UK Echo via Amazon and used it in Spain. I set the postcode to Gibraltar so the weather would be similar to where I was (Southern Spain is pretty much all the same) but unfortunately AccuWeather would never tell me the weather in Gibraltar - "not available at this time". So Plan B was to just ask Alexa straight up for the weather in my area of Spain. Simple enough. However, this is where you hit the next issue whereby how the Spanish pronounce the name of the town and how Alexa converts it into a request delivered via less than musical English pronunciation does not compute. I tried about ten towns in an increasing radius until I found one Alexa, AccuWeather and I could agree on. Once again, the same weather but at least I get to hear it.

Spotify worked, TuneIn worked, all the other limited services we have outside of the US worked. No point asking about local restaurants though as most of the ones near the house probably aren't registered with the local Ayuntamiento, never mind searchable on Bing.

Cheers,

Nick
« Last Edit: February 06, 2017, 10:43:31 am by Nikko1965 »

ximenin

« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2017, 07:51:19 am »
Nikko1965, how have you linked your spotify account? Have you used a uk, us, or es amazon account?? Or maybe you've changed your country settings???

Just to add my tuppence to the pot, I bought a UK Echo via Amazon and used it in Spain. I set the postcode to Gibraltar so the weather would be similar to where I was (Southern Spain is pretty much all the same) but unfortunately AccuWeather would never tell me the weather in Gibraltar - "not available at this time". So Plan B was to just ask Alexa straight up for the weather in my area of Spain. Simple enough. However, this is where you hit the next issue whereby how the Spanish pronounce the name of the town and how Alexa converts it into a request delivered via less than musical English pronunciation does not compute. I tried about ten towns in an increasing radius until I found one Alexa, AccuWeather and I could agree on. Once again, the same weather but at least I get to hear it.

Spotify worked, TuneIn worked, all the other limited services we have outside of the US worked. No point asking about local restaurants though as most of the ones near the house probably aren't registered with the local Ayuntamiento, never mind searchable on Bing.

Cheers,

Nick

Nikko1965

« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2017, 05:40:59 am »
Ximenin,

The Echo Dot is set to a UK address. I have a UK Amazon account and a required Spotify Premium account and it all worked without making any changes.

Cheers,

Nick

divcelt

« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2017, 01:38:30 pm »
my problem is the app wont download because in spain, I have uk account but obviously recognising the spain ip address?

Without the app, I cant set it up, as I say my account is set for the uk, does anyone have any more advice please?

jamesw

« Reply #14 on: September 01, 2017, 07:58:51 am »
You can search for the .apk for the alexa app online.  There are loads of examples available.