Echo & Alexa Forums

Amazon Echo Turned on TV and Fish Tank Lights

Offline jwlv

Re: Amazon Echo Turned on TV and Fish Tank Lights
« Reply #15 on: December 22, 2016, 01:10:35 pm »
A lot of robotic vacuums use infrared for its guidance system. It could affect other devices that use IR, such as TV's or a ceiling fan/light that has an IR remote. Some Roomba vacuums come with a guidance cube that projects an IR map on your ceiling which could affect other devices too. I think Roomba calls it the "north star system".

DParker

« Reply #16 on: December 22, 2016, 03:39:44 pm »
A lot of robotic vacuums use infrared for its guidance system. It could affect other devices that use IR, such as TV's or a ceiling fan/light that has an IR remote. Some Roomba vacuums come with a guidance cube that projects an IR map on your ceiling which could affect other devices too. I think Roomba calls it the "north star system".

Interesting.  But he says that devices are being impacted in multiple rooms.  On the other hand, IR is reflected by some materials (including aluminum), so I suppose the light could be getting bounced into multiple rooms that way.

mike27oct

« Reply #17 on: December 22, 2016, 06:10:04 pm »
Even could be related to the entanglement principle of quantum physics.   ;)

DParker

« Reply #18 on: December 22, 2016, 06:38:54 pm »
Even could be related to the entanglement principle of quantum physics.   ;)

Heisenberg did it....and he didn't do it.

mike27oct

« Reply #19 on: December 22, 2016, 08:20:33 pm »
Nah, it was done by Neils Bohr --- when Heisenberg wasn't looking! 

« Reply #20 on: February 11, 2017, 10:05:57 pm »
Just as an aside that could be something for someone else to ponder if the situation fits... I purchased a couple of adapters that lug into the wall, that turn any lamp into a touch lamp. They worked Perfectly... until the Clothes washing machine came on and something changed the frequency in the house system and turned lamps on and off at random while the washing machine ran... They were pulled out and disconnected completely...

It was Kind of like having a "clapper" that responds to something other than someone clapping... If you start automating the house... get rid of the "old tech" completely... It will wreak havoc on your sensibilities.
2 Echo Dots 2nd gen
2 echo dots gen 3 (no clock) -2 Echo Dot 3rd gen with Clock
1 echo dot Gen 4 with clock
1 Echo Spot
4 10" Fire Tablets
1 15' Echo show
23 Hue Lights 1 Hue bridge - 1 Amazon Smart plug outlet
One Ring Doorbell Pro
4 cell phones with Alexa app installed!
You should see My Apple Device List!

mike27oct

« Reply #21 on: February 11, 2017, 10:44:59 pm »
>>>  something changed the frequency in the house system and turned lamps on and off at random while the washing machine ran...

This is called RF interference.  Your washing machine is leaking (broadcasting) Radio Frequency (RF) noise most likely when it switches modes.  You would likely hear it in a radio or TV signal.  A common occurrence with older (unshielded) equipment.