Echo & Alexa Forums

Alexa app not searching for wifi

Stumacdon

Alexa app not searching for wifi
« on: November 16, 2016, 05:14:24 pm »
Hi all,

Today I've bought the Echo Dot however I'm unable to get it connected to the WiFi. I've been on thr phone and live chat for a couple of hours with no solution so hoping someone on here will be able to help.  I'll try to sum up the symptoms below:

Echo connected to TV via USB.
    Orange light signals its in set up mode
    Open Alexa app and go through wizard.
    At point of setting up wifi, the app doesn't even search for connections. The screen goes white. It does not freeze and is still responsive but there is no indication it is even searching.
    I've been back to the shop and exchanged the device on the recommendation of Chat
    Same issue occurs
    WiFi works fine in the flat.
    It feels like an app issue but can't be certain

Ive seen other posts about the frequency of the router potentially causing issues but I live in apartments and access to router is locked down.

I'm completely stumped and I may have to give up and have my money refunded. Customer Services cannot even suggest anything to try and just tell me to exchange the device again...seriously.

Offline jwlv

Re: Alexa app not searching for wifi
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2016, 09:27:12 pm »
Hi all,

Today I've bought the Echo Dot however I'm unable to get it connected to the WiFi. I've been on thr phone and live chat for a couple of hours with no solution so hoping someone on here will be able to help.  I'll try to sum up the symptoms below:

Echo connected to TV via USB.
Orange light signals its in set up mode
Open Alexa app and go through wizard.
At point of setting up wifi, the app doesn't even search for connections. The screen goes white. It does not freeze and is still responsive but there is no indication it is even searching.
I've been back to the shop and exchanged the device on the recommendation of Chat
Same issue occurs
WiFi works fine in the flat.
It feels like an app issue but can't be certain

Ive seen other posts about the frequency of the router potentially causing issues but I live in apartments and access to router is locked down.

I'm completely stumped and I may have to give up and have my money refunded. Customer Services cannot even suggest anything to try and just tell me to exchange the device again...seriously.

Your TV's USB port probably doesn't provide enough power to drive the Echo Dot. I've had a similar experience when I used a lower rated USB adapter. The Dot would turn on with the light ring on top, but doesn't respond. The USB adapter that Amazon provides with the Dot is rated 5VDC @ 1A. Most USB ports (like on a PC, a DVD/Bluray player, TV) that are not specifically designed to power external devices only provide 0.5A (or 500 mA). That is not enough to power the Dot. A TV's USB port is usually designed for data input, such as upgrading firmware or playing media files. They're not designed to provide higher power than 0.5A.  If you tried to charge an iPhone on that USB port, it'll probably complain because it's not getting enough power. Or if you try to connect a portable USB hard drive to that USB port, you'll probably hear a bunch of clicks as the hard drive tries to power up and eventually damage the drive. That's why some portable USB hard drives come with 2 USB cables so that the drive gets 2x the power.

Perhaps the app is crashing because it briefly connects to the Dot's wifi, the Dot requires more power to maintain the wifi connection, the Dot malfunctions due to lack of power, the app doesn't know what to do, and it crashes.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2016, 09:33:33 pm by jwlv »

mike27oct

« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2016, 12:52:36 am »
If the OP is trying to power the Echo via a USB connection, he is sadly mistaken, as you suggest.  He should follow the Amazon instructions to use the power supply included, and this other method is definitely not suggested!

Stumacdon

« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2016, 04:06:08 am »
Hi both,

Thanks for coming back to me, its much appreciated, this is a very frustrating issue and i dont want to give up and take it back :)

I have already thought about this and tried it through the regular power point with the same result. I have also tried it further away from the router in case there was any sort of interference, which again made no difference. The device responds the way it should and the voice prompts are on queue.

To re-iterate, when going through the setup, i had (i dont any more) 2 options, with the same results for both:

1) settings > Set up new device > Echo Dot > choose language > Continue > Begin Echo dot setup > connect to wi-fi > wait for the Orange ring > continue > Immediately goes to the next screen which is white with 'Echo dot Setup' at the top. There is no loading of available networks, no spinning wheels, no error messages, the app is still responsive - but nothing happens

2) Settings > Stuarts Echo Dot (offline) > same steps as above with same outcome - this option is no longer in the app

The app has been installed from both the Play Store and from the Amazon Underground Store. I have also cleared the Data and Cache, and 'turned it on and off again' (the only suggestion by Amazon support) that i though i was going to get RSI.

I have seen posts relating to BT routers and renaming the 2 frequencies, however the provider has locked down the router and the default passwords do not work, so im even unable to check if this is the issue.

The only thing i can think of is that ISP who provide the apartment building i live in with broadband (not BT) have blocked some ports which the echo / app uses, or something equally as random. Could this be the case?

I'm at a loss

Offline jwlv

« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2016, 06:09:59 am »
If you have a building-wide wifi network that is not under your control, it is very likely that is the issue.

Stumacdon

« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2016, 06:53:21 am »
I've spoken to the people in charge of that and they claim no ports are blocked but wont give me access to the router.

They have suggested renaming the SSID and the host name, but at this point im willing to try anything as nobody  seems to have any other potential solutions

amazonsocks

« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2016, 10:54:28 am »
I got the same problem.
Bought my echo on ebay.
Amazon Support told me that the echo is registered to somebodies account and that i should aks that person to deregister it before i can use it.
Since i don't know that person, the seller neither and amazon refuses to help, i complete LOST my money and AMAZON laughes at me.
Ofcourse Amazon would not give me the contact fo the person who is registerd to my echo.
However, Amazon could have asked him for me since they know everything about their customers anyway.
That's a VERY frustrating experience with ignorant and customer ignoring Amazon paractice!!!

« Last Edit: November 17, 2016, 10:56:28 am by amazonsocks »

AlanH

« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2016, 11:18:40 am »

Stumacdon

« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2016, 11:25:08 am »
On another thread ive been given another solution which i will be trying when i get home. They have suggested the issue could be around the Smart Network setting on my phone. When the Echo is turned on for the first time and not configured, it acts as a hotspot. then my phone should connect via the app for me to give the device my wifi details. If my phone is searching to connect to known wifi networks, it will ignore the echo and connect purely to my home network.

Whilst it sounds plausible, id be amazed if nobody else had experienced this problem, its not like its an obscure setting on the Android OS, but only one way to find out :)

mike27oct

« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2016, 01:58:23 pm »
@ Stumacdon

Once again, do not just TRY to use the included power supply, use it exclusively!  Dot instructions say use the exact equipment that comes in the package.  Also, install the app from the official store, and not some "underground" alternative.

I have several Echo devices set up already (Echo, Dots and Taps) and yesterday I set up my first new 2ndGen Dot.  Setup went fine, all worked well, but when I was changing the location within the Settings (by putting in my address and zip code), and tried to save it, the Dot disconnected from wi-fi and it took me several tries to reconnect the wi-fi through the setup again.  I tried several times and kept getting an error message.  I was considering resetting the darn Dot, but tried one last time and the following steps apparently did the job:

Before I unplugged the Dot power and let the Dot rest for over three minutes (as suggested by online Echo Dot help) ,I was able at one point, (trying to connect wi-fi again), to tell the setup to "forget" my network signal I was attempting to connect to (I knew it would reappear when I tried connecting next time).

I closed Alexa app on iPad and rebooted my iPad tablet in case there was something "erroneous" held in the iPad's (or app's) cache.

Then, I powered up both devices again, and went through the steps again and it all finally went well and the Dot connected to my wi-fi; no problems, and the Dot worked completely fine again.
When I tried entering the location data this time, I thought to tap the Enter key after each entry was made, and when I saved it I had no problem as before.  All is well; I even connected the Dot and my bluetooth speaker together successfully.

I hope these tips help you get connected.

Stumacdon

« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2016, 03:57:57 am »
Hi,

So, the issue was as suspected the Smart network switch on the phone. As soon as i turned that off it picked up the Echo and i was able to connect. Its been perfect since.

Oh, and it works fine being plugged directly int ot he TV or the speaker USB units

Great piece of kit, thanks to all for the advice and time taken to respond

Now i have to tell the gf there is another woman in my life, called Alexa

amyshapiro

« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2016, 08:57:03 pm »
I tried and tried to connect my echo, tap and dot however in the echo app, when it was time to connect, I'd just get the white screen (page). Echo was not connecting to my wifi.  Nothing would happen.  I read in here and found where someone said to turn off the smart network switch to set up these devises because if it's on, your phone just tries to connect to your echo, not your echo to your wifi.

So on my galaxy s7, I went to settings, wifi, more (top right), advanced, then turned off the :Smart Network Switch:.  This 100% immediately solved my issue and I was able to connect all my amazon echo devices. 

So, I just wanted to put this out there, that solved my issue. I hope this helps anyone reading this in the future!

Hi,

So, the issue was as suspected the Smart network switch on the phone. As soon as i turned that off it picked up the Echo and i was able to connect. Its been perfect since.

Oh, and it works fine being plugged directly int ot he TV or the speaker USB units

Great piece of kit, thanks to all for the advice and time taken to respond

Now i have to tell the gf there is another woman in my life, called Alexa

amyshapiro

« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2016, 08:57:45 pm »
I think I can solve your issue"

I tried and tried to connect my echo, tap and dot however in the echo app, when it was time to connect, I'd just get the white screen (page). Echo was not connecting to my wifi.  Nothing would happen.  I read in here and found where someone said to turn off the smart network switch to set up these devises because if it's on, your phone just tries to connect to your echo, not your echo to your wifi.

So on my galaxy s7, I went to settings, wifi, more (top right), advanced, then turned off the :Smart Network Switch:.  This 100% immediately solved my issue and I was able to connect all my amazon echo devices. 

So, I just wanted to put this out there, that solved my issue. I hope this helps anyone reading this in the future!

8)

Hi both,

Thanks for coming back to me, its much appreciated, this is a very frustrating issue and i dont want to give up and take it back :)

I have already thought about this and tried it through the regular power point with the same result. I have also tried it further away from the router in case there was any sort of interference, which again made no difference. The device responds the way it should and the voice prompts are on queue.

To re-iterate, when going through the setup, i had (i dont any more) 2 options, with the same results for both:

1) settings > Set up new device > Echo Dot > choose language > Continue > Begin Echo dot setup > connect to wi-fi > wait for the Orange ring > continue > Immediately goes to the next screen which is white with 'Echo dot Setup' at the top. There is no loading of available networks, no spinning wheels, no error messages, the app is still responsive - but nothing happens

2) Settings > Stuarts Echo Dot (offline) > same steps as above with same outcome - this option is no longer in the app

The app has been installed from both the Play Store and from the Amazon Underground Store. I have also cleared the Data and Cache, and 'turned it on and off again' (the only suggestion by Amazon support) that i though i was going to get RSI.

I have seen posts relating to BT routers and renaming the 2 frequencies, however the provider has locked down the router and the default passwords do not work, so im even unable to check if this is the issue.

The only thing i can think of is that ISP who provide the apartment building i live in with broadband (not BT) have blocked some ports which the echo / app uses, or something equally as random. Could this be the case?

I'm at a loss

Offline jwlv

« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2016, 10:53:38 pm »
iPhones have something similar called "Wifi Assist". I believe this feature came about with iOS 10 which all recent model iPhones run.

Wi-Fi Assist is on by default. To turn off Wifi-Assist go to Settings > Cellular. Then scroll down to the bottom and tap the slider for Wifi Assist.

When this feature is on and you use the Alexa app to connect to your Echo, the iPhone immediately realizes that there's no internet (of course not, since the Echo is not a router) and disconnects from the Wifi and uses cellular data for its network connection. By the time you switch back to the Alexa app, the app is looking for the Echo and it's not there. The reason why the Echo is no longer there is because the iPhone already changed to the cellular network and is no longer connected to the Echo's Wifi. And thus, you get a blank screen.

I think perhaps the Alexa app should be programmed to handle this type of situation a little better, like a pop up message informing the user that they need to made a settings change or to phone tech support. A blank screen is never good.

« Last Edit: November 29, 2016, 03:10:37 am by jwlv »

DParker

« Reply #14 on: November 29, 2016, 12:29:31 am »
iPhones have something similar called "Wife Assist".

If only that were true, Apple might not have lost so much of the smart phone market.    ;)